Author Topic: Did I violate these Pin knots  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Deo

Did I violate these Pin knots
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »
Hello You all, so here is my dilema. This is a black loucust stave that i have been chasing the ring and plan on making an cherokee d bow about 62 inches long and around 45-53#( first time with black locust). I would like to know

If I violated the growth ring around the pin knots?

Should I go down another ring or would it be okay as it is?

I want to be careful since this piece has good medicine to me; since this is the first bow I will be making that I cut down and seasoned the stave my self. Thak you

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Did I violate these Pin knots
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:09:57 pm »
Yes you did violate the upper ring(s). If you can, go down another ring but leave an island around the pins. Once the rest of the back is done go back to the pins and carefully remove the island from the pin out on all sides with a scraper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:21:04 pm »
What Pat said cannot be questioned as good advise. I would however ask the question, "where is it at on the limb?" If it is in the midlimb section where you will get more tension then it is better to play it safe. If it is in the last third of the limb or very close to the fades I would say it is less important and would probabley soak it in superglue and sand the back baby smooth and burnish it with 0000 steel wool. If it does'nt get over stressed and it does'nt have any edges to lift it should'nt be effected. I know with osage I have a number of bows with somewhat violated pin knots, not real knots mind you and they have had no ill effects. BL is not osage but has similar qualites, so I think where its at on the limb will make a difference on whether not you can live with it or need to chase a ring down as Pat said.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:58:39 pm »
Yep. Looks like a one ring violation to me, so at least you don't have to go down several rings to fix anything.

I've left some violated pin knots before, but only if the area is stiff or it's a particularly wide bow. I also don't have any reservations about sanding the pin knot to round the point as long as I could, if I wanted to, wrap the thing in sinew (I don't, but that's my rule of thumb).

Chase the next ring and leave the pin knots for last. Work right up to them and then switch from the draw knife to whatever you're more careful dancing around the pin knots with.Once you've reached the base of the pin knot you can switch to some 80 grit sandpaper and pinch/twist to clean the point off a little at a time, then smooth the tip if you feel so inclined.

That's some nice color for BL, I'm sure it'll make a great bow ;D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline DLH

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:11:05 pm »
I like using a half pair of scissors to work around the pin knots they give great control.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:25:29 am »
Yes chase another ring or back with rawhide.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:18:42 am »
Good advice by all,it is very easy to do but can  cause some really bad effects. I work them like Pat does. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:09:36 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:19 am »
I circle them heavily with a pencil so I don't inadvertently plow them over with my draw knife. Then, as Pat said, go back with a scraper and clean them up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deo

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 02:16:09 pm »
Thanks all for your replys, luckily I have plenty of wood to go down another ring or two. I pretty stocked on this find, its hard work trying to find straight pieces of wood fairly knot free here in california that are long enough to make a decent selfbow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:59 pm »
Actually a lot of what was said depends on how thick the rings are
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com