Author Topic: Finding AtlAtl dart material!  (Read 6584 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Finding AtlAtl dart material!
« on: October 27, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »
Hi guys been talking to a few people on various dart material used here in the northern U.S.  Come to find out right next to my house I have a couple different things capable of making some fine darts.  One is viburnum the other Im not sure of the spelling so I'll just say a big pricker bush with red berries.  OutbackBob pointed this out to me and well if u dont mind getting slashed up by it I cut a couple of stalks about 8' tall holy cow!  I'll keep u all poste dwhen it dries out and  I will take a few pics of it in motion!  Thanks for looking!

Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

JustinNC

Re: Finding AtlAtl dart material!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:24:38 am »
Rose....should make a find dart or arrow for ya.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:50:26 am »
Yeah I think that this shrub is a type of wild rose.  Man it is some tough stuff!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:24:09 pm »
Makes good arras...Im sure if you read in the Bible some where...probably back about 1st or 2nd Parenthesis...you'll read that since we didnt learn our lesson when God gave us serpents...he sent us wild rose later in times.....I know for a fact Noah sure wouldn't have brought the seeds for that stuff on the Ark.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:43:42 am »
That's multiflora rose, and it's a horribly invasive Asian weed. Feel free to cut all of it. :) Several Viburnums make good darts, especially nannyberry, witherod, and highbush cranberry. The shrub dogwoods like silky, gray, and red osier work good, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »
Thanx hillbilly Im not sure of all the names I can see it growing in spots and it usually has a lot of straight stalks!  Thanks!

Russ

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »
Russ, the berries on the multi   flora roses are really good eating or make ya some rose hip tea, I really like the rose hips after they have been frosted, Kinda tart an some or seedy with little fruit but some have more fruit an are full of vit. c. I,m pretty sure you have red osier an silky dogwood in your area. WE have lots of both here. Later Bob

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:19:29 am »
elderberry will make a good dart too russ. this time of year is great for identifying the plants by their berry. with the viburnums i find the best material along field edhes and along the creeks.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:31 am »
Thanks Jamie I got some river cane from Bill Skinner and it drying and I been hacking lots of the muliflorarose and  some shrubs.  I will get a few pics up soon to show progress! 

Thanx

Russ

Offline lerxst

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:40:09 pm »
I have made atlatl darts out of tamarisk and they worked quite well. Around here all of the rivers ar inundated with it.