Author Topic: not much primitive about this one, except my desire  (Read 11130 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: not much primitive about this one, except my desire
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 02:30:23 am »
Congratulations on a fine kill.
Gordon

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:38 am »
Great buck! My selfbow making mentor and one of my best friends has two unrepaired ruptured discs in his neck that limit his bow shooting to low poundage bows. He hunts with a crossbow as well.

If you want to to keep your primitive spirit alive I recommend hunting with a rock lock. Not a Lyman or TC but a real 5 foot + long Kentucky rifle. At first they feel a little awkward and aren't called a "flinch lock" for nothing but once mastered they are a true primitive joy to hunt with. The above mentioned friend got me into flintlocking as well, I build my own guns now.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 11:12:05 am »
   SWEETTTT with any bow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 01:49:09 pm »
Great shot placement. Congrat's on a great animal. Thanks for sharing.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:50 pm »
If no one on this website has the ocurage to say it, I will. 

I do hate you.  And not for the whole crossbow thing, but for shooting the buck I wanted.  I am seething with jealousy, boiling in rage.  Save a backstrap steak for me, please!  Nice shooting, friend.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 09:53:12 pm »
 ;D That's funny, JW.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:52 pm »
Uh, you are having my buck mounted, right?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 12:04:33 am »

That is a wall hanger! :o  Congratulations. ;)  fine shot, and lots of good food! 8)

Wayne

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 02:24:54 am »
Uh, you are having my buck mounted, right?

I already have two on the wall that are bigger (all from N.C.).  I skinned & boiled the skull for a European mount last weekend.  It will be gracing the spare bedroom where I keep my hunting stuff and not turning into flintknapping tools like some of the other racks have. My biggest bow kill buck scored just under P&Y minimum and this one is a hair bigger than that.  My best muzzleloader buck is 15 inches bigger than this one and my best rifle buck is 25 inches bigger.  I don't have the spare $$ or the wall space for another shoulder mount right now.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 11:53:27 am »
I don't argue against proper game management and an ethical kill.  That looks like a healthy animal and it's hunters that create those circumstances.  Crossbows aren't for me, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be doing the same, I imagine.  Way to go on a succesful hunt!
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 02:52:57 pm »

I can relate to the cost of a shoulder mount! :o  I like the european mount too.  My Buddy in Montana has several nice mounts like that, including a couple of Elk. Again Congrats on a nice buck.

Wayne

Offline woodstick

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 12:47:38 am »
good job no matter what the choice of tools you use, very nice buck. the price on taxidermy is gotten high, i just took my second buck in yesterday, 385 a head, but great bucks.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Christophero

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 04:48:15 pm »
Congratulations!
I don't care if some one is or is not able to draw a bow or shoot a crossbow, as long as they are all hunters, pay their license fees, hunt ethically and enjoy themselves.  Sir, it looks like you truely enjoyed your self and for that I am glad.  He's a beauty.
I've take many game over the years with a broken handmedown crossbow, which I fixed a long time ago and got started deer hunting with.  Oh, and other than mentally I am not handicapped.  My state allows it and I followed those rules.  The last four seasons I've only hunted with primative or traditional bows during the archery season, because I wanted to, and I've, yet, to bring home a deer for all the effort.  But those are the limitations I've placed on myself, because I wanted to.  If my wife, son or daughter decides they want to go to the woods with me with the crossbow I would more than welcome them along.  Not everyone has or takes the time to practice with a bare bow to be proficient.  I wonder if I am proficient.  But, we need hunters in the woods to keep this game alive.
Christopher

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »
Thanks for all of the kind replies. Today is the last day of archery only season in this part of N.C., so I celebrated by adding a doe to the pile. It walked behind some thick cover and I thought it had gone.  I was watching a second doe on the other side of the ridge heading toward me.  That one did turn on a trail into the thicket and the original doe stepped into the clearing less than 20 yards and was acting nervous. I took an 18 yard shot and the deer only went 38 yards before piling up.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 12:09:36 am »

Welll said Christopher, and another congrats to you Jim.  Looks like the chicken is going to have come out of the freezer! ;D

Wayne