Author Topic: Glass- how thick?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Glass- how thick?
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:36:47 pm »
I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but my searching didn't turn up the answer.  How thick glass should I be looking for to do my initial knapping practice?  I just ran across a supply of 1/4" to 1/2" plate glass for cheap.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Glass- how thick?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »
That's exactly what I've been using.  Just pressure flaking the 1/4" stuff, and using a little percussion on the 1/2".
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:00:12 pm »
I was gonna say at least 1/4" or thicker but you can use thinner stuff too. It's all cheap so have fun. TV picture tubes work great and they have that smoked look to em, shows your flake scars a lot better than clear.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »
Thanks guys.  Soon I'll be breaking glass and losing blood. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:00:06 pm »
Have plenty of band-aids and superglue on hand.  ;D
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:30:38 pm »
Also safety glasses. Anything that is clear or close to clear if it gets in the eye is very very hard to see and try to get out. I (eye) know from experience. ;)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!