Author Topic: proud of this one  (Read 1686 times)

Offline sailordad

proud of this one
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:25:41 pm »
well i havent been posting much,nor have i realy been doing much primitive
been busy chasing turkeys for the most part.
but i have hit a few rocks as of late
made a couple of decent obsidion points for arrapaho(mail them this week yet ;) )
today while the rotor router guy was over doing our annual maintenance cleaning
i was in the basement beating on some novaculite
i made this nice little point with a small moose bittlet for percussion and a whitetail tine for the pressure work
i gotta say i am realy proud of this one,its my best abo point as of yet(only on #5 here)
theres one spot thats a little thick on one side,got a couple little steps right there
i know i could "pop" them off if i took a diamond file and my ishi stick to them
but i REFUSE to do it,this is truly all abo
i might take a flint flake and try and ruff it up and a sharpen a tine real god and see if i can "pop" it that way
but,i am happy with it as is

i realy like using the antler on this material and obsidions
i had a hard time with this material when i first got it,i was using copper with it then
then i got some moose billets and tried that on the softer materials and WOW what a i differance that made
i thought i was gonna just waste all this novaculite,but i finally found what works for me with it and i LOVE it
any how hers a pic or two
thanks for peeking ;)

peace,
                                                                                                   tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: proud of this one
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »
Super cool man. I love it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
Looks good!
1’—>1’

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »
You dang sure ought to be proud of it, that's a very nice point.

All this talk about abo knapping I've been seeing lately is getting to me.  I broke down and ordered a moose billet today, and I've made myself a cow bone pressure flaker.  I figure since I don't know what I'm doing anyway I might as well.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Lombard

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 11:00:44 am »
Looks like it will hunt.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:08:22 am »
thanks guys for the nice words

jonathan: never tried cow leg bone myself,but have heard of it being used.let me know how it works and if you can post a pic of it please ;)

lombard: dont know if it would be lethal or not and i wont be ale to find out.its illegal where i live to use stone tips.i just make them cause its fun and cool  8)
             i do put them on arrows and hang them on the wall(seems like a waste of time and material to make wall hangers)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 07:34:11 pm »
cool
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:44:59 pm »
Looks like a killer to me - nice!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:56:27 pm »
thanks guys for the nice words

jonathan: never tried cow leg bone myself,but have heard of it being used.let me know how it works and if you can post a pic of it please ;)

lombard: dont know if it would be lethal or not and i wont be ale to find out.its illegal where i live to use stone tips.i just make them cause its fun and cool  8)
             i do put them on arrows and hang them on the wall(seems like a waste of time and material to make wall hangers)

I'll try to get some pics of mine up.  It's basically the same as the one Jim posted over on PP.  The cow bone seems to work ok, but is prone to split if you get it thin.  I'd like to get a couple of deer ulnas to try.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis