Author Topic: Pictures added of Osage stave  (Read 3973 times)

Offline snag

Re: Pictures of Osage stave
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 01:20:07 pm »

Here are some pictures of the stave.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:14:22 pm by snag »
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Pictures added of Osage stave
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »
If the stave is that size for its entire leinght then you have plenty of wood to split it like Frode suggested with the drawing he posted.

Clean the sides up so you can see the rings all the way from end to end on both sides.
Take a pincle and mark the ring you want to be the back of the belly stave.
Start you split at least one ring above the ring you want to be the back.  Two or three rings above if possible.

Drive two wedges into the end of it.  Making sure you follow the curve of the rings.  Once the end opens a bit drive small wedges into both sides of it.  Leap frog the weadges down the leinght of it.  GO SLOW. 

Once you get the belly stave off.  Clean the back of it up ( chace a ring ) and then seal the back of the belly stave.

I would also seal the belly side of the big stave.  Osage will often crack on a wide belly like you will have.
If this wood is good and dry you can also split the big stave if you would like.  If it is not dry let dry before splitting the big stave.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline snag

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »
Thanks David. The stave seems to be pretty dry. I'll have to split it to really know. It is 75" long and does have a little end checking. But with the length I can saw that off. On the other end I can go to 66" and it is 4" in width. The pictures are of the larger end. With 4" I should still have enough, won't I?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 10:09:59 am »
Don't shorten the length until you clean the back up and finish your core splitting. Osage always has a surprise waiting for you under the bark and sapwood, seldom a good one. You may need the extra length to work around a "surprise".

Offline snag

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 11:41:27 am »
Will do Eric. Thanks, David

Offline ohma

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 03:34:13 pm »
what ridge wrote about cleaning up the sides and inspecting the rings is very true,i see alot of people buying staves after just looking at the ends. you can run into one of those big surprises that way to.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.