Author Topic: Gluing on paper backing  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Gluing on paper backing
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:58:03 pm »
I am making my wife a bow and I have it all tillered out.  I glued on a purple tissue backing with TB III how long do I need to wait before I start bending it again?  It has been over 24 hours do I really need to wait a week?  I wanted to check the tiller one more time before I seal it up.  Thanks in advance.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Gluing on paper backing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 12:03:34 am »
Josh, with porous materials like the tissue most of the moisture will evaporate before it sinks into the wood. The tissue doesn't hold in the moisture like snake skins or rawhide.    You will be able to tell as soon as you string it. It will feel mushy if the M/C is high. If this happens just unbrace the bow and set it aside for a bit more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:05:27 am »
cool Pat, thanks for the quick response... I was hoping to get an answer from you because you are the inspiration behind me using the paper backing in the first place.  8) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 12:10:30 am »
 8)  Well, thanks Josh. You make me blush!  :-[
   Tissue paper is a lot harder to get smooth than any other backing I have tried. It is so thin it wrinkles and tears easily when it gets wet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 12:40:17 am »
Yeah, the paper does still have a little "texture" to it from the small wrinkles that wouldn't come out but since the backing is purely decorative and not vital to the structural integrity of the bow (solid ring under the paper) I think it will be alright.  It looks really cool anyway.  Thanks again!  :)

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 12:44:35 am »
Pat, I've never tried the tissue paper as a backing. Do you smooth it out with your fingers ever so gently, or use some type of spreader?
Does the paper function as a cosmetic measure only, or is it effective at keeping a splinter from lifting?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 01:13:24 am »
Tissue paper is purely decorative. It is so thin it can tear easily when it gets wet so after laying a smooth bed of glue you have to carefully lay the paper as flat as possible on the back and hope you get it right. Wrinkles are part of the charm of backing with tissue paper!  ;D   I've made a few bows with animal prints like tiger, leopard and zebra. They look pretty cool.