Author Topic: When to add rawhide?  (Read 2570 times)

Offline jonathan creason

When to add rawhide?
« on: October 20, 2010, 05:36:01 pm »
TJ was kind enough this past weekend to give me a hickory board to try to destroy.  The grain looks straight, but it can be a bit tricky on a hickory board, so I'm thinking about adding a rawhide backing (dog bones I reckon, don't have anything else).  I'd like to heat treat the belly, too, but I'm worried if I do that after I back it the glue will turn loose on me. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: When to add rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:40:53 pm »
Heat treat before adding the backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 05:44:05 pm »
Go ahead and tiller it all the way out before hand, Pat?
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:37:40 am »
John once u determine ur back and u got it tillered like pat mentioned heat treat first as when u get the rawhide on u want to have things in order. zI used dog bones on several bows I like it a lot.  I even built a 43 inch short bow and saw how far I could draw it before it exploded.  I wish I got it on film it was awesome.  With the rawhide on u can feel the limit of the bow but of course I wanted to exceed and sure enough  HHB and rawhide killer combo.  John lets see some pictures!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11:35 am »
Got it shooting yet?  ;D
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 11:17:46 am »
Jonathan, it depends on why you are adding the rawhide. If I have an thin ringed osage with knots I will add it att floor tiller. If not for protection you can wait until about half draw or after tillering.
  Dog chews are usually pretty thick and also uneven thickness. I would suggest you thinning the rawhide either before adding it to the bow or after it has cured on the bow and in this case you will have to be careful to thin it evenly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wally

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 03:20:14 pm »
If I back a bow I have always used deer leg sinew. Does using rawhide work as effectively?
It would be a lot easier to prepare and apply
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 03:28:42 pm »
If I back a bow I have always used deer leg sinew. Does using rawhide work as effectively?
It would be a lot easier to prepare and apply

It works very well, and looks good too.  Cow rawhide is too thick though, deer rawhide is the best way to go.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:52:14 pm »
wally, rawhide works very well for protection but not performance like sinew does.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 04:24:53 pm »
Thanks everybody!

TJ, not shooting yet, I have cut it out though.  I might cut it down a little, since I don't have 42" arms, and let it bend a little through the handle.
Cleveland, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »
I install backing before stringing with the short string. For me that means right after long string tillering. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 07:49:59 am »
The only time I back a bow is if I think I may have a problem either violated grain/worms/knots or run off so I always do it right after floor tillering. If using sinew for performance reason I do it after the bow is out to about 20 inches and all even. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good