Author Topic: Call me crazy but...I  (Read 2830 times)

JustinNC

Call me crazy but...I
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »
(keep in mind in new to knapping)....but....I have fallen in love with love with rhyolite. Maybe it's because I can't break it as easily as everything else  ;D

So far Ive beat on a litte obsidian, something or another from TX, some novaculite, some sort of KY chert, some thunder chert, glass, and now rhyolite.....

The novaculite was butter, but seems a little toooo soft for a durable point, obsidian was not my friend at all, thunderchert, well we have our days, glass, havent used enough yet, and the KY chert didnt like me much, and the TX stuff I didnt have much to mess with, but seemed nice......now rhyolite seemed to listen to me a little better than any of the others (excluding novaculite). I love it! Could also be in part too, I haven't used a hammer stone on anything else other than rhyolite. Im sold thus far! Thanks Joe!

Guess Im an NC fella through and through....havent gotten to pressure flaking it yet  :-\

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Call me crazy but...I
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »
 NC, that was gonna be my answer. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:05:13 pm »
Good rhyolite is hard to beat, good rhyolite is also hard to find.  The high grade stuff is great, the middle and low grade...it can be used to make a point, time in the military helps, you learn such useful words...Bill

Offline arappaho

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:04 pm »
Yep, sounds like you're crazy!
Glad to hear it, Justin. :)

Joe

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:14:48 am »
Thanks Joe!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:46 am »
Nothing crazy about that, it just shows good sense ;D People always make fun of me when I'm sitting there with a bucket full of good candy rock, and I'm whaling on a chunk of quartzite or nasty rhyolite while the good rock sits there and gets lonely. Good rhyolite is great rock, though-and you can't beat it for hunting points or "using" knives.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline warhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
I got alot of rhyolite from arappaho at the NC Knapin and i wish i could get more in my area the Sandhills. i usaully find single flake or artifacts made out of rhyolite. I was reading an article and it stated that the top od Morrow Mountain had been leveled by quarrying by Paleo Indians in the quest to use Rhyolite. I love the challenge and the white quartz too.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 01:19:42 pm »
I got alot of rhyolite from arappaho at the NC Knapin and i wish i could get more in my area the Sandhills. i usaully find single flake or artifacts made out of rhyolite. I was reading an article and it stated that the top od Morrow Mountain had been leveled by quarrying by Paleo Indians in the quest to use Rhyolite. I love the challenge and the white quartz too.

I think Im going to go down that way next weekend and take a gander around. If I can find anything close to what I have now, I love it. Check back with me after I try pressure flaking it.

Steve....hunting points/knives that will be used is all I care about right now anyway. I'll save the "art" for later....not that I have much choice right now lol

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:19:51 pm »
A classic Kentucky point out of a classic Kentucky meterial.
This Lost lake was knapped from KY blue.
With deep in word flearing notches, very sharp beveled edges and good lines this in a very nice lost lake.
Mililani Hawaii

JustinNC

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:25:58 pm »
just for chits and giggles....I knocked on a piece of perdy darrrrk green stuff.....but didnt have "save" on it Joe....It was kind of hidden in some of the grainier, lighter stuff, and it surrrre is nice. I just need to get this angle thing figured out on it. The grainier stuff will let you know right quick that you're beatin at the right angle because if I could use the steps I created to go to Heaven, Id be at Jesus' front porch right now. Probably didnt help I was using a small hammer stone when I probably should have been beating it with a small wooden or antler billet. Just when I though I was getting the hang of it, I snapped a long narrow piece. Oh well. It was fun though!

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 12:55:39 am »
I love the better quality Rhyolite, but I have a love/hate relationship with the lower quality stuff.  I can remember finding ancient points that were horribly hinged or loaded with step fractures, and thinking "How hungry was this guy to turn out such a nasty-looking point?"  Then, I get some Rhyolite that has good and bad quality rock in the same piece and can't turn out anything better than some of those ugly, stepped, & hinged points I was critical of.  Walk a mile in another man's shoes (moccasins)...

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 09:29:57 am »
Heading to Davidson Co tomorrow for a training. Any rhyolite in the Lexington area?