Author Topic: Newbie mistake!  (Read 2471 times)

Offline snag

Newbie mistake!
« on: October 21, 2010, 02:47:28 pm »
I am trying my hand at making a hazelnut selfbow. I have it floor tillered and was working toward putting a long string on it. So, I filed some string grooves on it....but I filed the back too! Do I cut off that section and start over? I guess I could glue on some hardwood to make a laminated tip...?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Newbie mistake!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »
How wide are your tips?   You can flatten the back side of the tips, add an overlay(hardwood, horn, bone, etc) and reshape. With the overlay you can cut the groove across the back(overlay).   If your stave is long enough you could cut off the tips at the string groove and re-cut them properly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline snag

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:36:43 pm »
The tips are 3/4". The stave is only 60".  I think I'll do an overlay like you say Pat.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 07:11:08 pm »
You can reduce the width of the tips to 3/8" without any problem then flatten the tip and add the overlay without loosing any of the length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:13:33 pm »
You can reduce the width of the tips to 3/8" without any problem then flatten the tip and add the overlay without loosing any of the length.

very good advise,if i were you i would do exactly as Pat stated there
then i would get my camera and takes pics to share with the rest of us  ;)
we like pictures  ;D
especially pics of wood and rock and such thinhs like that  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline snag

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »
Thanks guys. I will take your advice and narrow the tips and try to do an overlay. I have been reluctant to post a picture. I must say I am a bit intimidated by the expertise of some of you guys and the beautiful bows you make. 
Does deer antler work well for an overlay? I have a 3X2 blacktail rack I have been eyeing to see what I could make out of it...I already have some "rattlin' antlers".

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 08:36:57 pm »
Antler works well for overlays.