Author Topic: Sinew question  (Read 5007 times)

Offline tetaxidermy

Sinew question
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:54:14 pm »
What is a good length of osage for sinew backing, my stave is 60" and my draw is 28". looking to make a nice blind bow and still get my full draw at say 50-55 lbs. I am thinking 56"-58" bendy handle, but not sure. Thanks.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Sinew question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »
That should work. I'm finishing a 59" sinew backed osage D bow tillered to 27". Once the sinew completely cures I plan on putting some snake skins. Good luck.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:41:07 am »
Thanks.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:53:22 am »
With a sinew backing you should be able to go as short as half your draw length or possibly less. A bendy handle will allow you a bit less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 11:11:01 am »
I regulary make short hardwood self bows. Bend through types that are twice the draw length work well for me (even when I steam bend in some working recurves).....considering that you are using a very tough wood and sinew backing as well you shouldn't have much trouble at all, and might even have a little "margin for error" because your combination is going to be way tough.     Like I said though I never worked with either of your materials, so please take for what it's worth.
rich

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:24:39 am »
Good advice already. You could shorten that stave a couple inches down to 58 or probably even 56 if you're going to make it bendy handle and with the sinew still get your draw length/poundage. Short osage w/ sinew backing as I understand it made some of the best plains indian buffalo bows.

CP

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 11:56:14 am »
Personally, I'd start it off at 60". That's only a little longer than 56", really. Just leave the sinew short of the tips, say, 6" from the nocks. There's no real use for putting sinew all the way over the tips, especially if you use a good glue and/or snake skins. Heck, wrappings even work. That way, if it comes in too light or you just want it shorter later, you can simply knock the tips off and cut new nocks, no worrying about sinew :). And with sinew and Osage, you might be able to go down as short as 48-52" with a bendy handle later if you wanted.

Offline wundabred

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:19:17 pm »
my hunting bow this year is 52" osage recurve, 1 layer of backstrap sinew, draws 70# @ 26".    hump style handle.

for hunting and stalking, shorter is better.  osage and sinew can handle it.

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 02:28:24 pm »
I Wunda If you could share a pic of your 52" osage with us.Thats pretty impressive for that short of a bow ;) ;D ;D
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 05:31:16 pm »
for hunting and stalking, shorter is better.

Unless, like me, you can't shoot worth a darn :D

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:28 pm »
I think I will do that leave a little long, that will give some room to work with, 48"-52" would be perfect, we will see what happens. Working the ring right now, with dry time on sinew should be ready for spring turkey season.
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:17:23 pm »
It took me quite a while to conquer a short bow and I'm talking a 60"t/t static recurve selfbow, so not all that short. The shorties aren't as forgiving as a longer, straight limbed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wundabred

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:10:01 am »
i tillered the osage out til it was pulling evenly at 22" or so.   One layer of sinew.  After that it really wasn't much work to get it to draw full draw.  It actually draws out to 28", pulling 80 or so, but i was going howard hill and making a stronger bow than i needed, so that i could get high weight at a shorter draw.  Quicker draw.   i'll get a pic up soon, sure.

Offline wundabred

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:07:39 pm »
I Wunda If you could share a pic of your 52" osage with us.Thats pretty impressive for that short of a bow ;) ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wBBOQrpSBs

hope this works. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 02:11:17 pm by wundabred »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 07:39:35 pm »
for hunting and stalking, shorter is better.

Unless, like me, you can't shoot worth a darn :D
I agree Kegan, super short is not super stable.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah