Author Topic: Need a GOOD scraper.  (Read 32473 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Need a GOOD scraper.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 05:07:07 pm »
Why does Torges not like them?
'Cause he wants to sell you a bowyer's edge ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

duffontap

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2007, 05:50:32 pm »
You may have a point Hillbilly but Torges is a huge proponent of Nicholson #49's and #50's so I don't think he could be considered anti-rasp. 

Has anyone tried to make a bow scraper?

J. D. Duff

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2007, 06:09:07 pm »
Yes, it works great. I just got such a good price on the set I have I couldn't pass it up. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sonny

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »
surprised to hear someone say that farriers rasps are pricey. I get 'em locally for a little over $20.
and yes they're made in the US... Savedge brand. typically I keep two of 'em around- one in my truck toolbox, one in my other toolbox.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 12:41:33 am »
If you know any farriers they usually have lots of old farrier rasps laying around. Thats where I got mine...for free. With a little finesse I bet you could build a bow from beginning to end with a farriers rasp.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 01:05:23 am »
Im more of a fairy.  :-* I mailed out all but 1 of my rasps today.  I'll bet your right Pat. Learn to use it and you can make it pretty smooth with the rough side. Mine would be under weight though.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline BryanB

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 07:52:40 pm »
I ran in to a farrier while looking for a place to hunt.  He gave me about 25 he had in the back of his trailer.  They are still very sharp for bow making.  I plan on using many for custom knives.
Bryan

Minuteman

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 09:08:46 pm »
Well to bring the story 'round about to the end part, I got a Bowyer's Edge scraper today from Kowechebe down Florida way. I traded an osage stave for it.
 Scraper is easy to set up and I had shavings coming offa piece of wood in about ten minutes. Gotta get a bow roughed out so I can put it through its paces. Pretty pleased with it so far.
 Doesn't do real well on real flat bellies but I haven't messed with the depth adjustment much yet. I think I had it set a little too deep.
 Thanks for all the good posts folks!
 Chris

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 03:22:45 pm »
Question: How do you tell the Nicholson #49 &#50 from their other rasps?
Are the numbers stamped on them? Perhaps someone could post a picture.
The reason I ask is I see some Nicholson rasps on e-bay

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 03:30:04 pm »
Dana, I have a #50. the word Nicholson and #50 is stamped just above the tang. These rasps (#49 and #50) are  half round and about 1" wide and 12" long, if my memory serves me. I'm at work now.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 04:07:11 pm »
....Here is a #50 Nichioson file. Can't find my #49  an I just cleaned out garage  :o...bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 05:15:05 pm »
Thats what happens when ya clean bob. So their stamped 49 and/or50 then right

danaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 05:47:48 pm »
Bob, I like to see a guy that takes care of his rasps.  That cardboard sure does a lot to keep it sharp.  My farriers rasps were taken care of like that when I was using them to shoe horses.  Now that I have a use for the old ones, I sure wish I had taken the same care of them after I quit using them on horses.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 06:18:11 pm »
 Yup................Like Pat said marked #49 and #50. BE CAREFUL the #49 comes in stamped teeth, the really good ones are like the #50, have raised teeth by chisel and usually COST ! I have a coupla #49 with stamped teeth in addition to the raised teeth one. They are ok.............eh  You have to put a handle on, they dont come with one. JUstin, have to take care of them as much as they cost. :P :o.bob
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 06:22:28 pm by Kowechobe »

Minuteman

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 07:30:23 pm »
You know how you always wear out one glove before the other? Well the good glove left over makes a reasonable leather sheath for your rasps. Just poke a hole in it and tie a piece of leather thing on it and you got a good rasp sheath.