Author Topic: advice needed for a short bow  (Read 7831 times)

Offline billmac

advice needed for a short bow
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:28:58 pm »
So I think I want to make a shorter bow (I've only made one bow so far) for using in a tree stand.

I have a 25" draw and would like to pull about 50lbs. What do you think a reasonable length would be? Not too extreme. I'm just not that good yet.

Also, what wood? I have ash, maple, hickory, red oak and elm readily available to me. ( I have many other woods I can cut but they are smaller and I'd have to do more searching to find a suitable stave). I also have quite a bit of hophornbeam.

Thanks

Offline DanaM

Re: advice needed for a short bow
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:35:59 pm »
No expert bill but I think ya need to decide on a style stiff handle vs. bendy handle. I'm thinking bendy handle 52" to 54".
You could most likely go shorter but being new I wouldn't push it  Never worked with it but elm is tough stuff.
Wait for some other guys to weigh in they will have better advice than me.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline billmac

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 02:40:07 pm »
I'm not sure I have a good reason, but I think I would prefer to stick with a stiff handle.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 02:42:08 pm »
Just how short do ya want it to be????
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:44:25 pm »
A 56 ntn hiclory would be a good candidate for a rigid handle bow with a 25" draw.  You could go shorter with a reflex/deflex shape but you're probably not ready for that yet.

Dave

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:34 pm »
Best tree stand bow I know if is the Hupa design. Its 36" long sinew backed and as light as a feather. Pulls arround 24". Make it a couple inches longer and you will have a 25" draw length. Great desin for a bow I wish I could see made more often. If not this design go for a Modoc design at 48" and sinew backed. Both are great designs for trees and they only bend slightly in the handle but shoot well for in close hunting. Check out Steve Alleley in the Bowyers Bible on Northwest bows Vol. I .

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 08:13:55 pm »
Keep it thin and wide. And a backing will always increase chances of success :).

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:24:22 pm »
The ash makes a nice bow, bend in the handle 48-50" , sinew backed, put some recurve in the tips and you're in business, maple, hickory, and elm will work as well, haven't done the oak for short bows but if you choose your wood welll it should.
VB