Author Topic: "Overkill" Hickory Shortbow  (Read 13344 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Re: "Overkill" Hickory Shortbow
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 09:22:16 pm »
personally i dont think there is a problem with using the bark side for the belly
as long as your still tillering (scraping,wood removal) from the belly side and not the back of the bow

when you say there is bark on the belly,do you mean the cambium layer?
or is it the actual bark?
if its the actual bark,that may lead to some issues

hard to really say, al i can say is that with some effort all the bark has been removed, except for the stuff by the handle which i might leave, or maybe put a design in it, i figured that that section isnt going to bend anytime soon, and a little bit of engraving would add some class, any opinions on it?

I've got a better idea!  Leave the bow just as it is and use it as the prod on a crossbow.    Ron
Heh, ive wanted to make one or a long time, but i dont have any ride to a store, and i am pretty sure i lack the tools required to make it, though i have made plans, i dont have the money, a method to get down to home depot for the materials, or anything to work the materials after i get them
i was thinking about that honestly, really was :P,

<rant removed>
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:20:09 pm by Hawkeyes »
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 10:45:39 pm »
The center half of the bow is not bending at all...all the stress is on what looks to be 10 inch bending portions of the limbs.  I'd start on another.  This one may break from the overstress

Offline Magnum in MS

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:35 pm »
Hickory is some tuff stuff!!!

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 11:35:22 pm »
The center half of the bow is not bending at all...all the stress is on what looks to be 10 inch bending portions of the limbs.  I'd start on another.  This one may break from the overstress

trust me, after what happenned with the handle i plan on starting a new one, but i got a long time to go before then :P

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 11:52:33 pm »
Not to criticize, but why did you tiller the limbs to bend over such a small area?

It looks kinda cool, but also very dangerous... like it's ready to blow up in your face! Also I don't think you did the wood any good by pulling it to 126# when your desired draw weight is less than 70#.  How much set did it take?

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 01:26:58 am »
Not to criticize, but why did you tiller the limbs to bend over such a small area?

It looks kinda cool, but also very dangerous... like it's ready to blow up in your face! Also I don't think you did the wood any good by pulling it to 126# when your desired draw weight is less than 70#.  How much set did it take?

Its going to just become a deco bow, i know it has a risk of breaking, and i cant shoot for a while anyway, my finger has a cut on it that can easily get ripped open

didnt take much set, if i have access to the cam tomorrow, might let you see, though my dad needs it for work, so, might be out of luck, we will see then, but until then, goodnight, its midnight, heh

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 05:46:33 am »
Don't usually criticize anyones bow, unless someone ask,but I will have to say that is about the biggest mess I have seen in a while. You seem to think it is fine so that being the case,congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 04:48:13 pm »
And that was  the "Sugar Coated" version..... ;D ;D ;D ;D....first off bending a piece of wood na award of the split can be done....if one knows what the heck is going on...but then One does NOT tiller from the Back Side of the Stave....never....Second.... them are about the scariest Hinges I have ever seen ....I believe....when the wood lifted....that should have been enough warning...that something was amok......and when the Limbs started to not return to level....One should have realized that the wood was being stressed beyond its means....I mean  120+ pounds....I too like Pappy don't like handing out criticizm....but this Bow is destined to catastrophic failure...and I hope no one is hurt....jmo...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Cacatch

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 05:01:16 pm »
It's not destined for any kind of failure if he just does what I said in the first place, which is take it OFF the tree, re-tiller it evenly and bend it back the other way! He just has a hell of a reflex mid-limb is all. It's not too late!

CP

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:44 pm »
It must be a little green. Cause I know when I was green, I took green hickory and made several bows that looked just like that one ;)

Take the string off, and those tapes, and set it aside. Come back later with some sinew, turn it around, and turn it into a little rocket launcher >:D

Grunt

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 08:40:24 pm »
Mount it on a riflestock and make a crossbow out of the beast.

Offline Klandaght

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »
Cacatch= To retiller and turn it backwards now would lead to certain failure. 120# compression on these fibers will cause it to break when bent the other way.  Sinew might save it by what you mention, but would be a waste of good sinew in my opinion. 

Hawkeyes- I would set this attempt of a bow in the corner and invest in TBB1, read it over and over, especially the tillering chapter.  Someday in the future, you are going to look at this bow and chuckle while shaking your head.  I say this not to discourage you, but because my early attempts caused me to do this.

I applaud your eagerness. It's an infectious affliction. However, I urge you to take your time and learn the craft.  I wish you all the success in bowmaking.
A man learns more from his mistakes than from his successes!

His wife will always acknowledge his learnedness!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43:55 pm »
Hawkeyes,  I started a nice sugar coated OMG! message, but it's been lost.   Let's just say I agree that the bow is bound to fail, and it might send BIG splinters is untoward directions.  But, take heart!  You actually got a bow on your first try.  My first 3 broke during the tillering.   I think that all of us on this forum are constantly working on "the next bow."   The "next bow" is always going to be faster, or prettier, or just plain better.  So spend a little time on research and then start again.   The Bowyer's Bible series is full of info.   Jawge's website has some good basic info on  design and tillering, and this forum has  always got a bunch of talented folks to give advice.       
And after that you have the joy of learning to make arrows!
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 03:25:46 am »
That thing is bending like a horn composite bow!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 08:10:22 am »
A couple of rules I live by while making bows:
1) Never draw past your intended weight
2) If you see a problem while tillering, fix it before continuing

Just a few helpful suggestions.  ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA