Author Topic: Spalted Maple for backing??  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Spalted Maple for backing??
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:47:42 am »
Hey guys.  I've got this gnarly looking piece of spalted maple  :o that I'm dying to use for something.  I was wondering what you guys think of the idea of using it for a backing on a maple bow?  Should I try it, or will it just splinter or crack?  I suppose I could use it for some riser sections if nothing else.  What do you guys think? Have any of you tried this (or any other spalted wood for a backing)?

I plan on using a nearly perfectly quarter sawn maple board for the bow, which shouldn't need a backing at all.  I just think this would look really neat, if it can handle the tension.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NTD

Re: Spalted Maple for backing??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:00:03 am »
I doubt that it would work.  Even though the core you are using doesn't need a backing whatever you put on the back will be required to work.  I think it will be better served as riser material and nock overlays etc.  It is a pretty piece of wood and it would look nice on the back of a bow:-)
Nate Danforth

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:01:01 am »
Spalting is a decay feature, so I wouldn't use it as a backing.  It would probably be fine for tip overlays.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:23:52 am »
Hey, Cam. No, it won't work. Spalting is actually a fungal decay I believe. The grain is also crazy, but it would make nice accent pieces.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:34:57 pm »
That's what I thought.  It sure would look nice though.  I'll have to use it for something.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 02:38:53 pm »
Not that I want to beat a dead horse, but what if I "backed the backing" with something transparent, like fiberglass?  Or would white silk be transparent after it goes on?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 03:16:10 pm »
A thin vaneer of the spalted maple can be used under clear glass but that is for another website than this.
  I would not use spalted anything in a wood bow except for a handle riser or tip overlays. It is basically rotten wood and has lost it's integrity and only the beauty of the spalting remains.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:30:04 pm »
If you choose to use the "f"-word stuff, you can make a superior looking bow, but like Pat says, there are other sites that can holp you with that.  Personally, I'd use it to make a piece of furniture or a fine cigar humidor.  I can imagine accenting with purpleheart and other colorful woods to bring out the grain of that fine maple. 

But as a bow, I gotta say don't do it.  And that is unusual for me because I'm known for telling people to make a bow outa whetever you got and if it blows make another outa something else. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 08:13:13 pm »
Lovely bit of wood that, i would get it treated/stablised? and use it for ptretty stuff like overlays, tool handles and general shiney stuff :)