Author Topic: osage in wa?????  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Gonzo98

osage in wa?????
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:54:27 pm »
I'm a truck driver and came across two osage trees today. Now I know what the look like, I'm from Texas, is that possible? ???

Offline Gonzo98

Re: osage in wa?????
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:27:08 am »
Since this area is wetter then Texas, do you think the rings would be thicker? ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:45:06 pm »
I don't understand your question.   If you wanted to grow osage in Oregon it would probably work fine. Oregon(at least west of the Cascades) has a climate that is agreeable with many types of trees. That is why there are lots of ormnamental tree farms in that part of Oregon.
   The amount of moisture or lack of it doesn't necessarily have an effect on ring thickness. I have seen two osage trees growing next to each other that had totally different ring thicknesses. Genetics plays a role in it also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gonzo98

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »
I don't want to grow there are trees growing in Washington.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »
I know they grow in Texas!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:30 pm »
I don't understand your question.   If you wanted to grow osage in Oregon it would probably work fine. Oregon(at least west of the Cascades) has a climate that is agreeable with many types of trees. That is why there are lots of ormnamental tree farms in that part of Oregon.
   The amount of moisture or lack of it doesn't necessarily have an effect on ring thickness. I have seen two osage trees growing next to each other that had totally different ring thicknesses. Genetics plays a role in it also.

Yes, I worked on an osage billet length log last night that had a ring that went from 1/32nd to 3/16ths thickness from one side of the tree to the other.  I often see them at over an eighth at one end of a stave and under a sixteenth at the other end.  I also often see a ring change from sapwood to heartwood or vice versa..  I have no idea why these things happen though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 10:09:32 am »
The ring is usually thinner on the leaf end of Osage,and sometimes differend from the North faceing
to the south faceing side of the tree. Guess it's wind or sun. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good