Author Topic: Anyone worked with Persimmon?  (Read 8337 times)

Offline tarsus

Anyone worked with Persimmon?
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:17 pm »
We are moving, they are dozing.  This tree is about an eight inch diameter at the base, and has provided in many ways in the last four years!  Should I cut (before they do) or not?  I have killed deer under this tree before, and my children have enjoyed picking the fruit.  Would love to make an arrow flinger out of it, but still very VERY new to this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
Re: Anyone worked with Persimmon?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:53:26 pm »
Hey go for it! Im still kinda new at this and learning. Have worked with oak and osage just started working a piece of persimmon.  To me it is just as hard as osage but I like the grain. 8inches you could get a couple of staves or more easy. Nothing ventured nothing gained. A little sweat for a stave is better than buying one anyday. Just dont split any osage in july.  Auggie
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:17:18 am »
Persimmon will make a good bow. I don't know from experience but from other folks. If I could find a persimmon tree that didn't spiral I'd try it. Look at the bark of this tree and if you can see a spiral pattern to it.  It's possible but lots more work.    I personally would cut and split it just out of curiosity. If nothing else use some of it for handle risers or knife scales. It is pretty wood. It might make good billets for knapping too.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Anvildawg

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:21 pm »
I am working on my first bow and it is Persimmon. If you get the wood be sure to treat it with an insecticide. Bugs love it!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 02:19:34 pm »
I know that Pappy has made at least one persimmon bow. I'm guessing that the final bow limb thickness would end up being somewhat thicker then osage for instance to reach the same weight.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline tarsus

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 05:09:49 pm »
Thanks guys for all the info.  I cut the tree and sealed the ends with carpenters glue, but I have not split it in half or quarters yet.  To be honest, I ordered the Traditional Bowyer's Bible a few days ago, and I was hoping it would show up before I really got started.  (Don't know why, there is probably three times as much experience in this forum every day)  Should I treat the log with insecticide now or should i split, strip the bark, then treat?  Once again, thanks for all yr help!  David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 11:08:27 pm »
  It makes good bows.Alot like hickory with a pretty gray look.If nothing else ,those boy's knapping in North Carolina will probally trade  cats for some small baseball bats for knapping.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:32:22 pm »
If you sealed the ends you should split it at least in half. With temps getting warmer the fungi would love to eat your log. With the ends sealed and the log intact and bark on, the moisture is trapped inside with no where to go. Be sure your logs are stored out of the weather and off of the ground.
   Unless the log is already infested with bores the culprits are in the bark. That is what you treat with insecticide. It is best to remove the bark and seal the layer under it. If these persimmonwere recently cut down the bark will probably be easy to remove.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tarsus

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 11:41:55 pm »
Great Info, Thanks.  I will probably split the logs tomorrow afternoon, and remove the bark.  That should not be too late, should it?  Right now it is in my basement which is better than outside right?  What is the best product to seal with after the bark is removed?  Also what is the best time to start working the wood?  Should I wait for a certain moisture content, or how do you pros judge when to start working the staves?  David

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 12:04:08 am »
You can seal it with the glue you used on the ends. I think Justin uses wood glue to seal bows. His don't check, he just breaks them later in the process. ;)  I prefer to use Bullseye spray shellac. It is a little more expensive than buying it in a quart can but the quart has a shelf life after it has been opened.   Pat

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 12:17:15 am »
....................."Justin's dont check, he just breaks them later on' :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D.......bob

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 07:41:50 am »
It will make a good bow,just keep it sealed on the back when you take the bark off or it will ck.Make surei t is good and dry.I love the color when worked and sealed it is a kind of deep purple.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tarsus

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 11:04:04 am »
Thanks Guys for all the help and info!!!  I will try to keep you posted on my progress.  David

David
Louisville, Ky