Author Topic: Built a glass hybrid  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Kegan

Built a glass hybrid
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:22:38 pm »
Just finished this one out. My third glass lam bow, but my first hybrid. I started building glass bows for Kyle and Art, so they could save some money instead of buying expensive bows. FIrst two were straight bows, but it was only a matter of time before I finally built one of these bad boys.

It's 66" ntn, 55# at 28", maple lams and a maple/walnut riser (glued up by Kyle and Art). Very smooth and fast, there were only minor issues while building and the bow was still built and finished in about three days. First bow of this style, had no idea where the weight was going to end up. Came in perfect for a hunting bow for Art.

This bow shoots like a dream. Now to build one at ~65# at my draw to compare it to my selfbows and to have a back up hunting weapon. I have to say though, that despite the high opinion many have of glass bows compared to selfbows, some of the light tipped straight selfbows I've been building recently give even this radical design a real run for its money. For hunting, nothing's given up with a good selfbow. I jsut have to get a couple selfbows done for hunting that don't decide to blow up on me ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Built a glass hybrid
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:21 pm »
Dude...That looks really nice Kegan!  :) I really like it alot.  The handle shape looks very comfortable and the tiller looks great as well.  Nice job!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:46:23 pm »
That's a great bow Kegan.Excellent job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:42 am »
Thanks guys :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:17:54 pm »
Kegan, beautiful job on that one but appears to be bending too much right out of the fades, this is a reall common place for glass bows to fail. What kind of tapers did you use on the lams? Also a lot of guys are using power wedges in the fade area now to move that bend out a bit more without making it rigid there. Steve

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:33:18 pm »
Really nice looking kegan. I agree with Badger as well. looks like its bending a little hard out of the fades. Great job though. I like it. :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 07:41:53 pm »
maybe a bit much bending at the fades...I dont think so...Looks like those recurves open up nicely at full draw.

I've always wanted a bow that had straight limbs at full draw.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 01:20:03 pm »
Thanks guys.

Badger- I know what you mean about the hinges. The lams are parallel, it's the only kind we can make here in the shop. They shouldn't actually be as bad as this one has them: the riser shifted down during glue up. The top limb is weaker there. Thankfully, it is going to my friend Art who will only be using it for hunting later on, drawing it to 28" and not abusing it like I would :D.

However, I looked at several popular hybrid and r/d bows and some were alot worse than this one :o.

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:43 am »
what do you do for a living that you have all this free time to make bows?  or do you just always have many bows in the works? ;D
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 12:25:39 pm »
what do you do for a living that you have all this free time to make bows?  or do you just always have many bows in the works? ;D

This is all practice in hopes of turning this into how I make a living ;D

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »
Thanks guys.

However, I looked at several popular hybrid and r/d bows and some were alot worse than this one :o.
Yeah I agree. I have seen many that have an even sharper bend out of the fades.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline NTD

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »

This is all practice in hopes of turning this into how I make a living ;D

I wish you much luck with that Kegan.  You obviously have the work ethic needed.  If you can get paid doing something you love I think you'll find it easy to be a happy man.
Nate Danforth

Offline david w.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 12:57:01 am »
That is a fine bow.  I havent been on here for a while and it seems you have really progressed :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »
Thanks David. Bow building's good therapy. Keeps my mind off stuff. Do it enough and eventually you get better it seems :D