Author Topic: electric furnaces for casting bullets. really needed?  (Read 11277 times)

Offline recurve shooter

electric furnaces for casting bullets. really needed?
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:32:39 pm »
hi guys. it seems that all the vids i find on youtube of folks casting bullets use those big electric furnace things. i assume there is some advantage to them, but i dont have the cash to get one right now. could you do it with say a large propane burner and an old pot and still get decent bullets? i really want to get into casting bullets, and im trying to figure out the best way to go about it. thanks for the help guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: electric furnaces for casting bullets. really needed?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 10:25:40 pm »
 Trey, that's what I'm doing. I use a propane burner, old steel pot and a dipper. Like in the movie the Patriot, except I'm not melting those valuable toy soldiers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 10:28:24 pm »
Mesquite fire and an old bean can with a spout crimped into one side worked fine for me. Once your mold heats up you'll get some slick bullets outa there.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:27:20 pm »
awsome. ok, here go a few more questions. aluminum or steel/iron molds? and on youtube i see alot of guys drop the hot bullets into watter right out of the mold. would that make minnis to brittle? and i think i would get lead from tire shops, would that be the best source? thanks again guys!
lets just shoot it

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 11:40:43 pm »
i think i would try to find another source for your lead tire weights may be to hard for bullets they have too much tin in them.
bryan irwin

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:45:43 pm »
hmmm. where els could you get it for free/really cheap? ???
lets just shoot it

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:50:11 pm »
do you know any roofers they used lead in old houses for flashing and seals around vent pipes we used to get it when we roofed old houses.
bryan irwin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 12:14:20 am »
The usual test for lead is whether you can scratch it with a fingernail.  Wheelweights and linotype are common sources, but they use a fair amount of other metals to allow it and make it harder.  For roundballs you will want the purest/softest lead.  Sheet lead from roofing and the flashing stuff mentioned above is usually pretty good.

A few years ago I paid $20 for 60# and the guy apologized for the high price, a year later I paid $110 for 50# from the same scrap metal dealer, except now he was wearing a tie.  You can also order new lead from catalogs from the nuzzleloading trade, but you are gonna hemorhage money for shipping.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 03:08:54 am »

You can use a camp stove, or small fire, and a cast iron pot, or anything that won't melt at the temps you need to melt the lead.
I have both steel and aluminum moulds.  The aluminum ( Lee ) moulds are cheaper, and come with handles, and they are great moulds.  About $25.00 for them.  The steel ones, will run that and more for just the mould, and then you have to pay about that for the handles.  Your choice.  I really like the Lee moulds.  When I first bought my TC Hawken kit, and finally got it finished, and sighted it in at a friends house, it was just getting dark when I got the consistant shots I was looking for, and it was just about dark by then.  So I only had one Maxie ball left.  And I was heading out to a place to hunt very early the next morning, so I just grabbed my little lead pot, that used to be electric, but burnt out, and some roofing/plumbers flashing, and headed for the area to hunt, and got my camp set up, and hit the rack.  Got up just before daylight, made some hot tea, and melted some lead, and poured my self six Maxie balls, just as the sun was coming up.  Didn't get a shot at a Deer, saw plenty, just weren't in muzzle loader range.  I try to keep it at a maximum of a hundred yds.  It shoots dead on at that range, and I don't like to push my luck.  With the .50, and pure soft lead, it will do a lot damage.  A friend of mine shot one in the same area, at about 75 yds or so, and it just fell over, never kicked, or moved.
No you don't need an electric melting pot, but they are handy.  Again lee makes a nice one fairly cheap.
     Do like Brian said, and look around for a roofing company, and tell them what you need.  Check some old dumps also.  If you can get the wheel weights, get them, but save them for use with modern bullets, for your pistol, or low loads for your rifle.  I used hard cast bullets for my .44 mag, and .44 special, they shoot very well.  Good luck in your search, and try to stick to soft lead. ;)

Wayne

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 09:19:36 am »
Trey, I'll save my airgun pellets for you.  I'll let you know when i have a handful.  piper

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 09:27:07 am »
 I've got plumbers lead or lead from Scuba weights. I've also used tire weights and didn't have a problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 10:08:08 am »
My buddy and I shot an archery tournament at Briarfield Iron Works state park this fall, this is the site of the Alabama state M/L championship. We picked up about 100 lbs of lead in an hour out of the berm.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:27:38 am »
thanks for all the tips guys. after school ima go run around town and see what i can come up with. cant wait to get into this. should be fun.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 12:53:24 pm »
Do you have any big Electrical Companies around you? The ones that do Industrial and Commercial Wiring. These Companies use 15,000 kv and up Cable for high voltage ...and this wiring is shielded with a pure lead casing....I have absconded as much as 400 pounds from their dumpster at a time....this stuff I'd so soft that you can tear it by hand....perfect for percussion or flintlock ammo...just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:58:47 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 05:16:46 pm »

Dang, El D, I never knew that.  Well that is another source, I can look for.  Thanks.  I just have to find a company that does that kind of work. ::)
                                                                                   Wayne