Author Topic: Lilac  (Read 18428 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Lilac
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 07:09:13 am »
Here are some pics of my lilac tree as promised.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 08:31:48 am »

Dana, that looks similar to a hophornbeam. Is that a squirrel on the first pic in that right hand branch?  ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 09:19:30 am »
Nah thats a shingle, from the house that was town down. Did I mention I burned it and it wasn't mine ::)
Now I own the lot.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 11:18:31 am »
I cut some Lilac several years ago for making bow. I tried to pick out some that had the least amount of twist in them, all have twist up here. Left the bark on and let them dry out. They all split in a spiral as they dried. It hard wood though and the smell of the wood as you work it is something else. I would not consider it self bow wood
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 07:03:23 am »
Lilac is the greatest self bow wood I've laid my hands on. Crowned-back stick selfies safely pulling 60#, 1 1/8" limb width and sub-1" set (no heat-treating) count as great in my book.

From what I've heard, lilac should be even stronger south from the cold, dark north where I live.

Lilac grown on open ground (*like in Dana's pic) is almost always twisted beyond use. Bow lilacs grow in dense, "overgrown" habitats where they have no time to get all twisted and gnarly when competing for light and survival. Lilac growing on moist, rich soil is better in ring quality, too, compared to the thin-ringed, lighter-wood lilac found on dry, windy spots & poor soil.

*edit

Tuukka
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:08:38 am by sumpitan »

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 10:24:03 am »
Tuukka knows this wood. There is a thread on LW you will be interested in. I have roughed out a stave that really shows the unusual quality of this wood. Checking, ah checking is the problem. I've not given up on it.  :-\
Dave
NW Montana

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 10:28:57 am »
Wow, that bark sure looks like it swirls around the trunk a lot. I don't know that you will be able to use it.  :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 10:34:31 am »
My sister in law has big patch of lilac I'm going to check next time I get there. But its
more bushy than my tree. I'll see what I can get.

Manistique, MI