Author Topic: NOT MY DAY!!!  (Read 2138 times)

Offline bowmo

NOT MY DAY!!!
« on: October 10, 2010, 11:33:10 pm »
Oh, man. The piece of grey Flint Ridge I broke while working. Had a nasty dished flake in the center that was there when I got it, probably from a test flake. I was trying to work around it but I left to much mass on one side vs. the other, was just about to get to that when...well you know. Ha, shame. Right after that I started out on the piece of Davis Creek which accidently DROPPED while working on it. After all that nonsense I had enough for the day and packed up and went in.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline maddog314

Re: NOT MY DAY!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:02:36 am »
I keep breaking mine in half. I am using glass from old tvs and it is not costing me anyting so it is not that big of deal. it is still rather frustrating though.

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:28 am »
I still do that far to often. Disappointing every time.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:03 am »
Hear me out as I am luaghing well smiling about seeing them rocks cracked in half like that... Needless to say when I started out I think I posted me dumping a wheel barrow full of gravel, chunks, and broken pieces,  I was so upset and ashamed for wasting that many rocks.  SLOW DOWN!  Number1 key Im sure some will agree, look at what u are doing see where the humps are change ur angles, it seems that ur angles are off and the shock is snapping the piece.  Use the tip of what ever bopper u are using.  it should barely make contact with the platform,  dont forget to abrade.  Hey that all I can say!  Good luck and keep at it!

AncientArcher
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:29:17 am »
 I've got some like that. That top one looks like silver sheen obsidian.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »
I'm guilty too. Got those scattered all over the yard. I get a little satisfaction just seeing em airborn for a second ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:49:52 pm »
Hahaha. Cowboy, if I had as much stone as you I would do that too.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »
HA!  I've got you beat, I did that THREE times today.  Somedays you should go play tiddlewinks or something.  Bill

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:09:37 am »
feel your pain :( really sucks to to a lot of work and then have in ruined. I made a nice blade once and handed it to a friend who dropped it on the concrete, it multiplied into a bunch of pieces. I have learned to not work over a hard floor, I usually try to put down a drop cloth that is bunched up in case I drop my work. done that before too.