Author Topic: Takedown Help  (Read 2003 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Takedown Help
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:23:46 am »
I've been making bows for a long time, but I could use some advice on this one.  It started as the lower limb in my crooked bow build-along, but after the top limb broke I bought a takedown sleeve and decided to make a takedown.   The folks at 3 rivers said to make the upper limb have the long part of the sleeve.  I happened to choose to keep the lower limb of the crooked bow the lower limb again.  Unfortunately, the lower limb is the weaker of the 2 now which is made worse by the fact that I shoot 3 fingers under.  This bow is for me and I wanted a short longbow.  Right now it is 54lbs, 60" long, exactly what I wanted.  This is the shortest unbacked selfbow I've ever made.

Here are pictures.  The distance from the string to the limb was even before shooting (lower limb on the left).  After shooting both limbs took some set, but the lower limb took more.  I am definitely stressing the  limbs so I expected some set.  Should I tiller the upper limb to be even with the lower (and accept the weight loss), put the rest on the bottom of the handle and turn the bow over, do both or is there another approach?

On the good side, the green electricians tape temporary rest worked fine, the bow shot well, and I did get to shoot with my granddaughter.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Takedown Help
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:24:39 am »
Just from looking I would probably cut and inch off the bottom limb and get the mid 1/3  Top limb  bending a little more.  What is your draw length ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 06:46:06 pm »
My draw is a little under 28".  That's a 32" arrow in the picture.  George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:18:17 pm »
Thanks Pappy, I believe that did it.  I attacked the upper limb first  and got it bending a little more and now the tiller looks even.  Draw weight went down to 51lbs@28.   I shot it a bit, the tiller still looks good and then pulled the string off.  The upper limb had just over 2" of set, the lower limb a little less than 2".  We'll see if it goes down after resting a little.  The limbs look nicely deflexed now, it would look cool with the tips flipped but I don't know if the limbs would take it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:16:12 am »
Great,I suspect they would take it and it sure makes them shorter bow smoother. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:04:46 am »
Here's my attempt at flipping the tips, I wasn't particularly bold.  I'm wondering if I should have done more.

I haven't shot it yet, tomorrow I should know if it stays together.

Thanks for the help Pappy.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:23 am »
Thats about what I usually do,maybe a little more. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good