Author Topic: Bamboo Thinning / Planing Tools  (Read 9224 times)

Offline ShinneryOak

Bamboo Thinning / Planing Tools
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:14:05 pm »
I need some advice on prepping bamboo for backing. I haven't seen many specifics on what to use to get it down to thickness. My first try was with an orbital sander. Let's just say that was not sufficient. I know some use power planer/ jointers. Does anyone use a belt sander? I'm trying to figure out the best investment. I guess a planer would be best if I make a lot of laminated bows. I know just a little more than nothing about planers, though I have been looking at a $350 DeWalt model at Lowe's. any suggestions?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Bamboo Thinning / Planing Tools
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:52:26 pm »
I've done it with belt sander and a planer. Both work fine.  I'd use whatever you are more comfortable with ;)
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:06:49 am »
I've used just a belt sander and I've used a bandsaw to reduce the bulk of the excess and sanded it smooth with the belt sander. BTW, I have a 6"x48" Grizzly table top belt/disc sander.   On my first boo backed bow I used a block plane to reduce the boo.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:20:01 am »
On my first boo backed bow I used a block plane to reduce the boo.  ::)

Wow I bet that got ugly at times.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 01:46:58 am »
Nate, I was taking a class from Vinson Minor and that's how he started us. After we were half way through he showed us how to reduce the thickness with a band saw and belt sander.  ::)  ...but if necessary it can be done with a block plane!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:33:35 am »
Man I'd be nervous about catching an edge and splintering up the hole darn thing.  Skill with hand tools is of underestimated value...
Nate Danforth

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:11:18 am »
I've used block planes to thin my boo, but it's a lot of work....also use belt sander and planer...the sander is less scary, but planer is quicker and less dust floating around....wear a mask!!!!

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:30:45 pm »
I do what pappy said, but I also use a table saw to hog down to 1/4 in and barrel taper to the ends with my grissley sander or as Dean Torges does ,I sometimes use a jointer to taper.Barrrel taper isn't always neccessary, but helps the bamboo from over powering the wood on tilling.Don't have much luck with electirc table top planers with boo as the rounded side is to uneven and gets stuck in the rolls and won't feed. I think a electric hand planer does well too. Good Luck , watch the splinters and wear eye and nose protection. Denny

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 03:52:12 pm »
I always use a simple block plane , does the job fine, takes a couple of hours to make a backing, thats fast enough for me, and like Eastern archer says , less dust
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline 0209

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:06:25 pm »
Belt sander all the way...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 06:31:31 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback-a couple more questions...when using the bandsaw to thin it down, how thick do you leave it, assuming you'll then sand it down to  1/8th inch thick? (I ruined a piece with a bandsaw trying to take too much off.) Next question: do you put the sander in a vise and move the bamboo over it or clamp the boo down? Last one: a handheld belt sander vs. the bench type belt and disc combos?

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 06:59:57 pm »
i use tapered boo you want it thicker in the middle1/8" on the ends and i use a belt sander and have used a blockplane.
bryan irwin

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 08:50:11 am »
I use a planer/joiner to get it to thickness and then a block ,1"wide and 6" long to smooth it out. I like mine no more than 1/8" thich in the center of the boo and razor sharp on the sides. This shows the glue lines for me. Then I sand off that sharpness just a tad.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 12:12:01 pm »
A lot of people use a bench type belt sander. I takes a steady hand and patience. The longer the platen the better. If you go jointer or block plane, the cutting knives/blade must be sharp to produce results without tearing out. Reducing with a bandsaw also takes a steady hand, but isn't meant to get really close, just remove most of the waste. One of my favorite tools to use on boo is the toothing plane. It doesn't remove too much and no splinters! If you use a block plane, I would suggest wearing a leather glove. A sharp plane goes through boo easily, but splinters do happen!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:18:42 pm by Tom Leemans »

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »
OK, I'm probably going with a sander. Leaning toward the bench versions. It looks like you have to go across the belt on those at a right angle to the belt movement, is that right? I don't see how it could go lengthwise with a long piece of boo or wood. Or you'd have to use the disk...this is me guessing again.