Author Topic: Saying Hello. first work  (Read 1987 times)

Komodo

Saying Hello. first work
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:14:04 am »
Howdy,

I've just started, and I'm reading DC Waldorfs great book (have the video too). My plan is arrow points for hunting, as I'm making my own bows too.
Here's my very first rock ever that I did last night with some Keokuk that i got online.

It's 3" long, and cracked as I was trying to get rid of the chaos all over it (the back is worse LOL). I did manage some really long flakes and had a blast. I beat the crap out of my bopper though.

I'm in Southern Indiana (Bloomington), and if anyone knows locations where i can get rock, I'd love to get a bucket or two.

Thanks!
Jeff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Saying Hello. first work
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:05:32 pm »
Looks like a good start,I come through Bloomington every year going to Cloverdale. Welcome. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »
Very cool, I've been at it for about a year.  It's not an easy craft but it sure is fun!       
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:32:52 pm »

Welcome, and if that is your very first, and if you can run flakes like that now, you will have your hunting points pretty soon! 8)
Like Parnell said, it isn't an easy craft to learn, but it sure is fun.  Especially when things start to happen right, and the little light goes on, and you suddenly say, Wal Gol Darn, I think I kin do this h'yar stuff after all.  Well that is what I think when I get a flake to run the way I want it to. ;D  But it looks like you are on your way.  Looks like there might be another Shannon, or Jamie on the way.  Just stay away from pine trees. ::) ;D

Wayne

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:47:31 pm »
Looks good for a first. Pay attention to that book and you'll learn a lot. Best thing is to get with someone who can show you a thing or two..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:02:06 pm »
Don't rush it. Take your time and enjoy every new success.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 11:37:39 pm »
 First off, welcome, And you've already gotten some good advice from some of the best.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:06 am »
Lookin'good, you'll find this bunch will be a good suport group.If you can find a knapp-in or another knapper to watch you'll be glad you did.
Have fun and remember it's only a rock -HIT IT
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 09:07:09 am »
Welcome,  Your point looks good.  We found many on the desert left by the natives that look just like that.
I am a very green knapper as well.  a work in progress as my wife refers to me.  Don't know if she was talking about me or my knapping  though.

Remember one of the most important things to keep in your knapping bucket, BAND AIDS

Komodo

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:57:35 am »
Thanks everyone!

#2 is done but I didn't get a pic yet. It's really bad LOL. My spall broke in half and the first half i destroyed, the second ended up being a small disc (I'm calling it a coin) about 1.5-2" in diameter at about W/T 3:1.

My Keokuk spalls are odd shaped and I'm having the most difficulty reading them to find the next strike. Seems like I always have some odd stack or a chip that went too deep, or the whole thing is kinda dished and i can't find a spot to hit it. I did manage some very large flakes, big enough to be a large point if they weren't wavy. While i managed some huge flakes, I also can see some of my hits were at TOO great of an angle cause the chips are very deep and end in a step or hinge.

I've got a box of large dacite and obsidian flakes coming, and I'll order some Texas heat treated tabs today. I 'd like to try a bunch of stuff to see whats what. I'll get a pic of #2 up soon. BTW-someone recommended labeling each one so I could see my progress in order, great tip!

OK, Here is #2 and #3. I went backwards. LOL
Starting to get a slightly better handle on reading. #3 loks like crap, but I'm proud I was able to knock down a very large stack in the center without destroying it all. It's not gone, but way lower. I also got the weirdest flake, it went up, then almost 'folded or creased' and back down - creating a ridgetop (I dont know what you call it) that was perpendicular to the flake. The flake looks like a butterfly.

Question: How long does your copper bopper last? ie. about how many spalls?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:37:39 am by Komodo »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:23:58 pm »
Looks good for starting out. A fellow teacher and his wife offer a course on campus for credit in primitive skills and this is one area of study if you're tking classes there. As soon as I can knapp again(broken collar bone, bike accident) I can show you my limited skills and maybe help you out.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline warhawk

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:43:40 pm »
I think that the best advie is practice and more practice. you can also download an ebook from the internet that has helped me and is great to read. here is the website is http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/index.html
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.