Author Topic: Head First  (Read 3025 times)

Offline 0209

Head First
« on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »
I'm officially diving in head first into a horn bow.  After a fair amount of completions with your regular old run of the mill bows, I figured I'd give the horn bow a try.  Some things that I have questions about.
-How do you experienced individuals go about flattening the horn for the belly?
-What wood do you use for the core? (I was thinking something like hickory)
-Can I apply the horn to just the limbs or must it run through the handle as well?

As of now, I'm looking to make the bow around 40 inches or so and get around a 24" draw, seem possible?
Thanks for all that reply as your information is a wonderful gift to me.  Have a good one guys, and happy Columbus Day...

-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Head First
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 09:29:15 pm »
That seems like quite a long draw for that short of bow, but I know next to nothing about horn bows.  I'm curious to know if that is possible too.

Offline 0209

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:36:30 pm »
Thats what I was thinking, but you know, how am I ever going to find out if its possible if I dont try it.   ;D After all, might as well play aroundwith it.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Frode

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:38:57 pm »
I can't answer from experience, but I recently got a copy of Adam Karpowicz' book, "Ottoman Turkish bows", which I highly recommend, by the way, and he suggests sugar maple for the core.  The book also lays out in great detail all of the steps involved, lots of clear pictures and photographs.  If you can hold off for a couple of weeks or so, while gathering supplies, and get a copy, it'd be money well spent. 
'Besides, you were just saying how you needed another book for you bowyers library, anyway, right?  ;)
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline 0209

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 10:55:00 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Frode.  I'll have to look into it.
-Unknown