Author Topic: anyone shoot minnis?  (Read 2805 times)

Offline recurve shooter

anyone shoot minnis?
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:46:57 am »
no stores near me sells pillow ticking for patches, and it annoys me to have to buy factory patches, so ima try minnis. anyone use them or have tried them? how do they do? any tricks to them or anything?
lets just shoot it

Offline Dane

Re: anyone shoot minnis?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:13:34 pm »
They are hollow at the base, and they expand into the rifle barrel when the powder ignites. Companies like Dixie and Track of the Wolf carry what you need. Give them a call and they will set you up with just the right mini for your needs - hunting, target, etc based on the type of rifling, caliber you shoot, gun or barrel manufacturer, etc.

I used to pregrease the grooves (can't recall the technical name for them) by heating up the lube in a sauce pan, placing the minis base first, and letting it harden, then pulling out the mini ball. Some guys like to use grease from a tube or tub. It just depends on your style. I'd make paper cartidges with pre-measured charge, then the mini ball, and tied the end. You tear it open, pour in your charge, in goes the ball, ram it, and you are ready to shoot.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
cool, thanks dane. i think thats gunna be the way to go. cant wait to try shootin that 58 again.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 12:26:20 pm »
I often shoot 350 grain T/C Maxi-hunter lead conicals in my Hawken. Shoot great, and absolutely devastating on deer. I don't care much for minie balls.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
hillbilly, it seems that its kinda between the maxi balls, minnis, and REAL bullets. not really sure witch to go with.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 10:10:17 pm »
Try 'em all and see what shoots best in your gun. I know that I have had several friends try the minie balls for hunting and wound up losing some deer. Patched round balls in a slow twist barrel or Maxi-hunters in a faster twist barrel are the two ways to go, IMO. there is a difference between the maxi ball and the maxi-hunters, too. You can use any kind of cotton cloth for patching as long as it's 100% cotton and the right thickness.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 09:22:12 am »
i'll check it out. the cotton stuff that i had was to thin, and i cant find anything thicker. im thinkin ima go to the thrift store and try to find some all cotton blue jeans.  ???
lets just shoot it