Author Topic: Close call while splitting hickory  (Read 5132 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Close call while splitting hickory
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:46 am »
The back of the hatchet wasn't mushroomed out at all.  It was an older one that I have used to chop many a tree down when I was younger.  I just recently started using the back side of it for splitting logs.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Postman

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 10:40:31 am »
Good idea posting your close call. I have been guilty of relying on my perscription glasses instead of safety glasses and had a chunk hit me in the forehead. got a free lesson, too.
Need to get some vintage wedges and axes, iguess - great idea guys.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:32 pm »
I'd make it simple-anytime you pick up a sledgehammer, axe or any kind of impact tool, you should have on safety glasses, period. I've seen some ugly things wind up in people's eyeballs. Del, the newer ones that are like wrap around sunglasses are less likely to fog up than the old goggles.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:01:56 pm »
 I wear them everyday at work. I've had steel removed from my eyes three times, ain't no fun. Also if I get caught by an MSHA Inspector I can count on a $550 fine and probally lose my job.

Del, I hear it all the time, they get dirty, fog up, etc,,, it only takes a second to clean them or wipe them off. It sucks to miss work and pay and sit in an emergency room all day.

I've got Safety Audits tomorrow,, wonder how many I'll write up for no safety glasses or hearing protection. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gmc

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 10:49:57 pm »
I had to come back and look at this haul one more time. There is a special place in my heart for Hickory, it's all I had to work with for a long time. Hickory is magical stuff, just got to figure it out. I hope you make a ton of fine bows and look forward to seeing them posted right here.
Central Kentucky