Author Topic: tiller check please  (Read 3720 times)

Offline blades7558

tiller check please
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:58:18 pm »
 my hick bow 70 inches ntn it had a hinge in it and i stupidly tried to string it and i compressed the wood, ive been working on it and im at a fistmele of 3.5 inches and thats a 14 inch draw at 30 lbs. i know its not perfect but tell me where cause my eyes got tired.
 thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Hrothgar

Re: tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:28:54 pm »
To me, it looks pretty good so far. The bow seems to be sitting a little crooked on the tillering tree, so I can't say for sure.  30# at 14", that should equate to around 65# or so at 28", so you still have room to work with.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:31:42 pm »
you might want to work a little at the handle get it bending a little more looks good so far.
bryan irwin

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
Blades,
     Might not be perfect but it's long ways off of bad also......Looks to me like you have very even bends in each limb (not hingy) just that the left limb is stronger over all.....but not by much, maybe just a few more scrapes and I believe your bow would be symetrical limb to limb. Just my opinion
rich

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:04:03 pm »
 Just my opinion,(and you know what that meens) The first 6"-8" just out of the fades look a tad stiff. But then I don't have that good of eyes either after staring at one for awhile ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »
Blades it looks like your on the right track just keep scraping and sanding get em bending more. i would really like to see a pic of the belly where you had the compression problems and an unstrung too. ive done a lot of work with hickory and there might be some tricks that would help if i could see more of the problems your having. thanks ken

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:22 pm »
Looks pretty good to me. If I would say anything is it looks like the left limb isnt bending as much but after taking Hrothgar's comments into consideration this view could be due to the bow being a little crooked on tillering stick, so I think the tiller looks good so far. Maybe a little more around the handle.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Cacatch

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 02:40:58 pm »
You a tad stiff on your right fade, and I would take a few scrapes off your left limb, AFTER the fade because you already have more than enough bend in the left fade. That's how I see it.

CP

Offline blades7558

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »
thanks ill post the pictures of the hinge up when im done working on it today

Cacatch

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 03:57:03 pm »
Good luck with it. It's not bad at all. Here's a tip, take a look at where your fade actually starts to narrow for the handle on each limb, mark a ring around the whole bow at that point with a pencil. Then, take your tapie measure and measure the thickness of the wood on the bow at that point. I think you'll see that the right side is a whole lot thick than the left. I think that is the biggest issue in a nutshell. There was too much wood taken off the left fade. If there was a little more wood there, you'd have more bend in the left limb overall and your tiller would be 90% corrected. This happens to me all the time too, especially with hickory. My problem is I always try to rush it and end up whacking too much off at a fade.

CP

Offline blades7558

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »
haha thank cacatch, i didn't come back to read your post untill now :( the tillering is complete more or less ill post a pic of full draw and ken ill post a pic of where the hinge was before i began working on it. it actually came out! the hinge eventually went away. the tiller is a bit stronger on the right limb, i kinda wanted it that way because im still afraid of the hinge that was there. i plan on staring a new topic because i have a few other questions to ask still so be on the look out please

Offline blades7558

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:57:46 pm »
heres the hinge area there was no noticeable chrysalling or anything. i just was to zealous when i worked the fade outs

Offline blades7558

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 08:59:49 pm »
heres the hinge area there was no noticeable chrysalling or anything. i just was to zealous when i worked the fade outs

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 10:35:40 pm »
blades i was pretty sure you were going to remove any problems , you still had enough wood to remove that a hinge shouldnt be a prob. tiller looks good maybe s lil stiff in the upper limb. but i understand your hesitation in removing where the hinge was. feel free to ask anything i dont know much but will share what i do

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:01:52 am »
I'm getting older. I no longer have the eye sight I used to have but I don't see any hinging. I do see that the the left limb is not bending in the same place the right one is. Do you see it?  I think you want  the bending to start at the end of the fades for stiff handled bows at least I do most of the time. I mark a heavy pencil line on the side where I want the bending to start. I take 20 so strokes with a scraper, exercise the stave at partial draw (like 15 inches) and check the tiller. You don't have to unstring when just working that area.  I've spent hours at that spot to make sure the bending starts where I want it to. It's time consuming but necessary or you are stressing each limb unevenly. Don't use power tools here. It's easy getting hine there. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!