Author Topic: good "modern" glue for fletching wrapping?  (Read 4671 times)

Offline blades7558

good "modern" glue for fletching wrapping?
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:46:39 pm »
im doing 2 dozen arrows for a friend of mine and he having seen my sticky fingered anger on humid days has asked if i could use a better glue than hide glue to wrap his arrows with. im thinking about using string serving to wrap with but im not sure what would be a good glue to soak into the string. any suggestions?
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: good "modern" glue for fletching wrapping?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:07 pm »
You can use TBIII, super glue, Duco or epoxy to seal wraps. Even with sinew these glues work. I generally use sinew, art sinew or silk thread for wraps and have used all the above glues with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:31:45 pm »
I second what Pat said...but I prefer to use either Super Glue...or TiteBond myself....if and only if I don't use Hide Glue.....jmo.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »
This is not for a wrap but I have found that water base contact cement make for an incredible glue for fletching arrows, much better than the old contact cement.  Sticks like you wouldn't believe, just make sure everything is aligned before you touch the 2 together as they are a bugger to take apart after.  For a wrap I like Fish glue with a sealant, such as Tung oil, over-top
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:01:58 pm »
im doing 2 dozen arrows for a friend of mine and he having seen my sticky fingered anger on humid days has asked if i could use a better glue than hide glue to wrap his arrows with. im thinking about using string serving to wrap with but im not sure what would be a good glue to soak into the string. any suggestions?
I find that birch tar, like they used to use in the original wrappings, works great, not only to set the string, but also to adjust the fletching to helical when desired. I mfind it so much better than applications of modern chemical crap.

Erik

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 03:02:44 am »
Fletch Tite, Duco Cement, or whatever other fletching glue you have on hand will do nicely.  You might also try coating the wraps with whatever finish you are using on the arrows.  I would imagine that just about any modern glue would do the job.  Just pick one that goes on thin and dries clear (like super glue).

As far as primitive approaches, I have used spirit varnish to seal sinew wraps, and it does take a LONG time to dry.  Could have something to do with how I made the varnish, but I don't know.  Plus, it wore off rather quickly.  What I do now is use warm hide glue (knox gelatin) to seal the sinew wraps.  It dries faster, dries hard, and doesn't wear off like the spirit varnish did, because it penetrates the sinew and binds it all together very nicely.  It only gets tacky if it gets wet, which is where a coat of oil, grease, wax, or modern glue would be helpful.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline WVFishFearMe

• Pamunkey
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:01 am »
Head cement for fly tying is tough, stays a bit flexible, and is waterproof. Penetrates well but needs two coats.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as large as required.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:08:36 am »
NorthernArcher, if you use hard brittle pitch for spirit varnish it will cure hard as soon as the solvent evaporates. If I can't find hard varnish I cook the turps out until it gets hard. I do the same for pitch glue.
  I use spirit varnish to seal primitive arrows and to seal all sinew wraps on arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:07:02 am »
  Delco
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 05:38:22 pm »
The only modern glue I use for fletching is Duco. I still wrap using art sinew. Then coat with Duco. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 05:47:33 pm »
 I wrap with real sinew soaked in TB3 and stick fletching on with Loctite Ultra Gel.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 11:03:36 am »
I wrap with silk floss, then apply the new brush-on Krazy glue that goes on purple and dries clear.