Main Discussion Area > Arrows

Ash Arrows?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Bob S.:
I tend to go a little on the heavy side with arrows anyway, so the ash sounds good. I'll experiment though. Thank's guys.

Pat B:
Bob, One thing I noticed about ash arrows is you have to keep an eye on their straightness. They tend to go out of straight but that is easily remedied with hand straightening. They are good shafts and in my experience were 100 grs heavier than cedar.
   My first trad hit was with an ash arrow. Just at dark the buck walked out at about 14 yards and turned to his right to tend a scrape. The wind was from him to me. He was broadside. I drew and released and heard a solid hit. The buck ran with his tail down...I was ecstatics!
   After 5 hours that night and 5 hours the next morning I found where he cleared a fence nearly 1000 yards from where I shot him.  We found the back half of the arrow with a pin drop of blood on it and it was broken across the grain. My guess is that the Grizzly head lodged in the shoulder and the arrow broke on a tree. This deer was tending his scrapes 2 weeks later. He had a definite splay to one of his hooves.  Please excuse the diversion.    Pat

Bob S.:
Thank's Pat, I'll keep that in mind. Sorry to hear you didn't get the deer, but glad to hear he was back tending a scrape. I had the same experience with my "modern" long bow. I hit high, right in the shoulder. Somebody shot the buck opening day of gun season. 8 point-19" inside. I hated to loose that deer, but at least he didn't rot somewhere.

Bob S.:
Now I'm curious as to what your favorites are. Anybody?

Coo-wah-chobee:
 Favorite arras ?.Cane ,of course ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.....bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version