Author Topic: Need some help and observations.  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Ncsnipe

Need some help and observations.
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:25:25 pm »
I've been trying to get my first point done since getting inspired at the NC knap in. While there I bought some rhyolite, well needless to say that is some frustrating rock to work! It seems to have formed in layers like slate and it seems to want to hinge badly where the layers cross.   That was my observation, now for what I need help with. I've gotten some small flakes of good flint and have been trying to pressure flake some small points. My problem is that I can't seem to get the flakes to run far enough to get a good scar pattern. Any advice on how to get longer flakes? Thanks for any advice.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Need some help and observations.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »
Just starting out flake patterns are not the easiest thing to accomplish, especially on rhyolite. Don't get discouraged. Keep practicing,set your platforms below center and run the flakes.
If ya aint busy come up to the farm next weekend we can knap some.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Komodo

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:39:07 pm »
Total newbie here, but I may be able to give you my experiences which may in turn help?

First I've heard that rock is very hard. I've only now tried Keokuk and some heat treated Texas flint, but you may want to try something different. The Keokuk was nice, but i really like the Texas rock.

I've been thinking a lot about the motions you do when knapping. Wondering what was working and what wasn't and why. First off, the strike is sort of like hitting a pool ball to get it to move sideways. Kind of a glancing blow, with the force going almost perpendicular. That's not the Hertizian cone (spelling?) but the feel of the strike.

I made a huge leap when i started using more of my wrist, rotating downwards as my arm traveled down. Instead of locking it and having my arm travel downwards. It made for a snappier, probably more forceful hit, BUT, without TOO much power caused by my whole forearm. So, almost like a whipping motion. Also, I had been putting the rock at too much of an angle. So when I kept it down, more than my instinct, added with the whipping motion . . all of the sudden i started getting consistent flakes, and MUCH more control. I was getting sweet flakes before, but now with way more control. This then, reduced my hinging and step fractures, caused by too much of an angle so the fracture was digging too deep - and the fracture lost its force.

I'm not at the point of making flake patterns, just getting some flat bifaces. But, I am getting super nice huge flakes. I hope this makes sense and/or helps. If not, ignore me. LOL.

PS-ops, i just saw this again and saw that you were talking about pressure flaking . . . .no help from me then, I'm in the same boat.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 12:12:47 pm by Komodo »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:49:40 am »
NC, first I would save your ryolite for latter use , it's not very beggineer friendly type stone. Get some dacite or glass type stone an then lots an lots of practice an get to as many knappins as possible or if you have someone close by to knap with, really helps shorten the learning curve with hands on stuff. Hope this helps some, don't rush it an enjoy the ride. LaterBob

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 07:09:03 pm »
Im with Bob on this one ryholite isnt the first choice for begginers, My guess would be peoria or keokuk, some say black butter or glass even.  Save it as u will appreciate what it takes later on when u get a bit better.

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:27:09 am »

NcSnipe;  It could be your angle that you are lifting the flakes off at.  I used to push off at a steeper angle, and only got mediocre length flakes, and occasional steps.  I had not been able to run long consistant flakes, but lately I tried to push in at a more even angle, and then use my knees to push flaker side ways, and I have been getting much longer, and more consistant flakes.  Don't know if that is what I was supposed to do at the beginning or not, but it is working for me.  Also, do like the others said, set the rhyolite aside, and use the glassier stuff, like Dacite, and other forms of Obsidian, or glass, or Keokuk, something in that order.  The Rhyolite is definitely some hard stuff, and it does make a very nice and surprisingly sharp edge, but it is not a beginners rock.  Not that it can't be done by a beginner, but it is just so much easier to learn or easier stuff, at a much faster pace, and you save the tough stuff for later.  By all means get with Nugget, and as many other knappers as well.  And definitely ask questions.  Also, pick up some scrap pieces, and just practice running flakes.  Not trying to make point, just trying to run consistant and longer flakes.  Try different angles of your flaker, and try to get closer to the edge of the platform to pop off a long thin flake.  That is what is helping me at the moment.  Be sure to grind the edge WELL!!  I still am not a good knapper, but now and then I make a useful point.  And I do have a large gravel pile.  And a pile of cuss words, and blood stained pieces of leather pads. Just the other night I was very happy at an especially long thin flake I just popped off.  Just not especially happy that it went into my left index finger tip.  ::) Keep the super glue, and band aids handy, especially with obsidian, and keep at it.  But get with Nugget when you can, oh and bring the beer, it makes them invite you back. ;)  Enjoy, the addiction. ;)
                                                                             Wayne