Author Topic: bow dimensions  (Read 2632 times)

Offline krusty

bow dimensions
« on: October 12, 2010, 07:13:21 pm »
So my 7 year old has been pestering me for a bow of his own, and I have a nice piece of white oak with good, straight grain.  I'd like to make him a recurve, very light of course, between 15 and 18 pounds is all he can handle.  The problem is the oak isn't very long, I'll only get 40 inches out of it.  Do you think that's too short, or is it doable?

Offline NTD

Re: bow dimensions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:34 pm »
Krusty,                              I haven't made many kid's bows so can't help you there, but is your name Justin from Fl?
Nate Danforth

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:45:36 pm »
IF it has very straight grain on all faces and you keep the drawlength below 19 inches you should be good. White oak is very strong in tension but can take a lot of set if you not careful. I'd say go for a bend in the handle bow pulling around 18 pounds at 19".  I'm not sure if you have enough length to add recurves, but for a small bow like that I am not sure if you need them. But I'm just a beginner so let's see what the experts have to say..

Ifrit

Offline krusty

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:07:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice... no, I'm not Justin from Florida!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:54:00 pm »
you wouldnt be that clown from sprinfield would you?  ;) ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:57:53 pm »
LOL.  Sorry Krusty, I know a reptile guy from Florida whose screen name is Krusty on all the herp forums. 
Nate Danforth

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 10:56:19 pm »
A 7 year old is not likely to have a 19 in draw. Probably around 15 in? That should be ok. I wouldn't draw an unbacked 40 in bow to 19 in. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline krusty

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 11:35:26 pm »
Thanks for all the advice... I did go back to the bowyer's bible Vol I on the Indian bows which was helpful.  It seems 40-50 pound draws were not uncommon at around the same length, often unbacked, so I guess it shouldn't be a problem for the light weight I plan on.  Just for fun I probably will steam bend a recurve into the tips.