Main Discussion Area > Bows

Wood Burning Tool

<< < (3/4) > >>

a finnish native:
never ever ever give heat to the back of your bow. I have broken 3 bows this way. heat weakens the "fibers".
its almost as if you would be forging metal, and then you dip it into water. it gets harder, but you can not bend it anymore. I think chemistry would explain it so, that the amount of carbon rises in % and therefore the wood is not so bendable any more.

DanaM:
I know you can use a woodburner on leather so I imagine its the same for rawhide. But I also know that you need to burn at a lower temperature on those materials, so if using a fixed temp burner you would have to keep turning it on and off. The higher end units have adjustable temp settings.

DanaM

mullet:
  I use a top of the line woodburner on turkey calls.It has a reostat so you can control the heat.I've used  it on the belly of a bow along with carvings.I think you could use it on the back if you didn't get carried away with the heat and burning too deep.You still should be able to back it with white(clear) silk or thin whitetail rawhide.That way the desighn would show through.

duffontap:
Not to be a contrarian, but on a hickory back--I don't think shallow wood burning would hurt at all.  I don't know how osage would handle it but I think yew and a couple other species would be fine too.  I use a wood burner to do my bowyers' mark on my longbows. 

J. D. Duff

Pappy:
Ya JD but that is on the side not the back.It might not hurt but as for me I wouldn't take the chance,at least on something I wanted to keep and use.Side and belly I don't think would be a problem. :)
   Pappy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version