Author Topic: antler as arrow rest  (Read 7932 times)

Offline billmac

antler as arrow rest
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:10:44 pm »
Has anyone used an antler tine as an arrow rest?  I'd be interested to know (see) how you did it.

Offline DanaM

Re: antler as arrow rest
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:23:12 pm »
Yup, my last bow I used a brow tine frim a 3 point, I haven't posted the bow yet. I built
it for my buddy and I need a full draw pic. The tine was just a little sticker and sawed it off on
the bandsaw leaving a tail to glue to. Pics coming soon.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline billmac

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:27:49 pm »
Dana,

Did you glue something on to the tine to soften the noise of the arrow passing over it?  What did you use to attach the tine to the wood?

Thanks

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:36:33 pm »
No I didn't cushion it I told my buddy to just stick a piece of moleskin on when deer hunting.
I used Titebond 3 to glue er up.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:33:31 pm »
I've used it before, I don't care for it, the arrow flight seems strange, and like you mentioned it's loud. I like a softer rest like leather. I'm sure you can glue something on the antler but that kinda defeats the look.
VB

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:01 pm »
I made my first selfbow and used a piece of antler from a shed - don't have any pic's , the secret is to use the base of the antler - it's hard to explain - when the antler falls off the buck , more of it comes off/out of the skull past the nobby base - then cutting off a head - it can be round off for the shelf/arrow rest . I'll try and get some pic's - someone else posted pic's cuz that's how I got the idea , I think it awesome - works and looks great ! ;D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 10:00:53 pm »
Hres a pic of what I did. Arrow flight is fine, it is loud though. I'm still witin on the
full draw pic so this is a sneak preview.

DanaM

[attachment deleted by admin]

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 07:55:16 am »
Very nice bow DanaM,I had trouble keeping it on till I drilled a shallow hole in the side and glued it in the hole.That seems to work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Dustybaer

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:54:17 pm »
wow, nice bow dana.  love the colors and the design.