Author Topic: Wood Burning Tool  (Read 12996 times)

froplord

Wood Burning Tool
« on: April 23, 2007, 11:46:02 pm »
I was considering using a wood burning tool on a hickory backed bow for decorative/camouflage purposes, but I am concerned that this might promote splintering. Has anyone tried this before?

I would also like to thank everyone for all their helpful information. It has helped my bow building skills tremendously.

Chad.Q

Offline RG

Re: Wood Burning Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 11:59:58 pm »
Pappy had a lady ask about doing that last week and he told her no. You might try it sometime on a bow your not in love with But me I love all the bows I make LOL

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:00:34 am »
Chad, I've never done it but if you don't burn too deep you might be ok. I have seen designs burned into the handle area but not the working part of the limb. Do a test piece and see if it will bend without splintering.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:37:34 am »
I bet you could  back it with some moderately thick rawhide and burn into that without compromising the back. Might stink to high heaven but it'd probably work. ???

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:47:12 am »
I've seen pics of old NA vows with designs burned into the bellies, don't know if I'd try it on the back, though.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:05:07 am »
The belly I am sure would be OK. But I wouldn't try it on the back.I want my back as smooth as a babies behind.The raw hide deal Minuteman mentioned would probably work,never tried it but a good idea. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 09:24:54 am »
Think airbrush and paint.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

330bull

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16:55 am »
John Strunk has a vine maple bow that is totally stained in charcoal and it looks pretty sweet.  He just pulled some from a camp fire, mixed it with some water and rubbed it directly into the wood.

If you want a "burned look", why not just take some charred wood and rub it in for a cool burnt/camo look?  You could cover the whole bow of just take a chunk and use it like a fat piece of chalk.

If you try something cool and new, please share with us OK?

Good luck!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:20:30 am »
Bull, I have used charcoal with water and bear grease to color bows, especially hickory. The charcoal gets in ther grain and really shows it off nicely.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 11:36:42 am »
The colouring with the charcoal sounds good. I have to try on one of the next bows.

I think, you can make a  tattoo in the rawhide and then back the bow with. Newbies on the tattoo job will train with ears of a pig. May be it will work with wet rawhide???

a finnish native

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 11:58:18 am »
never ever ever give heat to the back of your bow. I have broken 3 bows this way. heat weakens the "fibers".
its almost as if you would be forging metal, and then you dip it into water. it gets harder, but you can not bend it anymore. I think chemistry would explain it so, that the amount of carbon rises in % and therefore the wood is not so bendable any more.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 01:39:04 pm »
I know you can use a woodburner on leather so I imagine its the same for rawhide. But I also know that you need to burn at a lower temperature on those materials, so if using a fixed temp burner you would have to keep turning it on and off. The higher end units have adjustable temp settings.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:53:07 pm »
  I use a top of the line woodburner on turkey calls.It has a reostat so you can control the heat.I've used  it on the belly of a bow along with carvings.I think you could use it on the back if you didn't get carried away with the heat and burning too deep.You still should be able to back it with white(clear) silk or thin whitetail rawhide.That way the desighn would show through.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 01:31:42 am »
Not to be a contrarian, but on a hickory back--I don't think shallow wood burning would hurt at all.  I don't know how osage would handle it but I think yew and a couple other species would be fine too.  I use a wood burner to do my bowyers' mark on my longbows. 

J. D. Duff

« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 01:33:19 am by J. D. Duff »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 06:34:15 am »
Ya JD but that is on the side not the back.It might not hurt but as for me I wouldn't take the chance,at least on something I wanted to keep and use.Side and belly I don't think would be a problem. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good