Author Topic: Yew bow #3 Updated  (Read 6822 times)

Mar

Re: Yew bow #3
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:34 am »
Thanks for the advice, I shall do that. I need to make a new string anyway as this one is frayed and speaking of string. With the severe twist of yew the string is off centered at the handle and I think I might be better off shortening the bow to get it centered a bit better.

When is the best time to finish the tips? I have some walnut I wish too use to finish up the nocks.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 01:54:45 pm »
 few mm off centre is no prob, if it's a long way out, I'd suggest steaming the centre of it then clamping it bent the other way a tad.
it's easy to make a steam box from old insulation board or somesuch and a wallpaper steamer. Make a simple form to clamp it to, and get everything ready to clamp it as soon as you pull it out of the steam, you have to move quick, so try out out before you steam.
Yew responds well to steam bending, you could always take aut the twist, but it's harder to make a jig for twist removal.
If you are reluctant to try it on your bow, try it out on a bit of scrap timber first.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Mar

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »
Did more and made a short string. Ntn 70" Might still shorten it if I can't deal with the propeller twist, got to play with steam. I don't have a proper scale, just a bathroom scale but need to modify my stick as it slips on the scale. I am guessing I am pulling 50-60# which is in the neighborhood of what I was aiming for.

So I need comments and advise before I star sanding and finishing her up though with the string way off it might be just a wall hanger.

Unbrace: Bow fliped end over end in this picture.

5" brace:

At 28":

Off centered string:

Mar

Re: Yew bow #3 Updated
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 09:52:06 pm »
So...what is my plan of attack now. need input. :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 04:20:19 pm »
So...what is my plan of attack now. need input. :)
Clamp it up, just over straightened and apply dry heat or steam for twice as long as you think you need. Let it cool for twice as long as you think you need and it'll be fine.
A good length of 2x2 will do to clamp it to (edge on) glamp one limb down v lightly and slip a few pieces of ply under the other limb a few inches along from the grip.
Heat it up and tighten the clamps. Don't worry if it needs more bend, just repeat it with more ply under the limb. If you over do it, a little heat will let it relax back towards it's current state.
It's all much simpler and earier than it sounds (but don't tell the newbies ::))
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Mar

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 03:50:40 am »
Thanks Del. I have taken heat to it and it has straighten out. I just found out recently that my buddy and somewhat mentor got booted off here for ridiculous reason so therefore I will probably no longer post on here, but thanks for the input.

Lombard

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:48 pm »
Mar, your bow is looking good. I've never worked with Yew, hope to one day.