Author Topic: An epoxy question.  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Parnell

An epoxy question.
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:55:54 pm »
I'm wondering if Loctite Professional Heavy Duty Epoxy "Sets up in 5 minutes", will do the job for a w splice.  I see people say something along the lines of "slight gap filling properties".  Would this epoxy do the job?
1’—>1’

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: An epoxy question.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 07:05:37 pm »
IMO
Loctite products are generally pretty good, but personally I'd go for a slower setting one.
I only use the rapid stuff for lightish duty applictaions lick tip overlays, arrow plates etc.
The 24 hour ones (e.g Araldite) are very good and can be accelerated with gentle heat (e.g pull a bench light close down to it for a bit of warmth).
Even the rapid ones are best left for a couple of hours or overnight before stressing.
I have used a 2hour epoxy for laminating a fibreglass and rockmaple horsebow, and it was fine.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jmilbrandt

Re: An epoxy question.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 05:27:02 am »
I've never used locktite brand before but I have used a different five minute epoxy. I left it alone for twenty four hours and when I was tillering it came apart at half draw. I gave it another chance with the same result. I always use the thirty minute epoxy now and haven't had any issues.
SW Utah