Author Topic: Fresh Cut Casuarina  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Parnell

Fresh Cut Casuarina
« on: October 02, 2010, 12:11:59 am »
Cut a new batch of Casuarina today, better known as Australian Pine.  The bow I have braced is one that I made back in the spring but am just finishing now.  I may post it soon.  This stuff makes a good bow! You'd never figure because the back is lacey cracked as all get out but it does very well holding together with no backing and in compression.  I've shot it through the summer now and it's gotta have hundreds of shots in the florida humidity - and left in the garage.  It's held up just fine without losing zip and minimal set!  It wasn't heat treated when I made the bow and it went from being cut to tillered in about 6 weeks.  I'm looking forward to seeing what I get from some of these bigger logs and I'm really looking forward to making some sapling D bows with it for experimentation.

It'll be fun and I'll keep you all posted.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: Fresh Cut Casuarina
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 12:18:35 am »
interesting stuff ...never heard of it , bow looks nice very classy

Lombard

Re: Fresh Cut Casuarina
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:08:13 am »
I have some acquaintances that I have worked with in Florida, and have been trying to get them to bring me some of that stuff to try out. Jawge reported that it makes a fine bow. Somewhere else, don't recall where or who, but the guy called Australia Pine, the best kept secret for bow wood. Now for the next year or two you can be like, is it bow wood yet...