Author Topic: Another glass bow  (Read 3615 times)

Offline Kegan

Another glass bow
« on: October 07, 2010, 09:08:58 pm »
Check this one out. I posted my first hybrid a month or two ago, but there were points that needed work. Well, I think I fixed them. This is the proto type for the limb design, actually everything except the handle will be laminated and have a more locator style instead of straight/angle. Oh, and the shelf will be deeper. It's off center so my arrows aren't too weak!

It's 66" long made with maple laminations. This one came out a little heavy at 71# at 28", 75# at my draw. Shoots hard and fast- with both 700 gr and 600 gr arrows, and with little to no handshock. Very stable- I was pleasently suprised with that one. I'm thinking I'll give this one a good go during hunting season while I finish work on my self and sinew backed flatbows ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Another glass bow
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 09:10:36 pm »
Very nice. For a glass bow  ;D
Seriously, nice job.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:39:32 pm »
 Good looking bow, Kegan, too stout for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:48:44 pm »
Really like that profile.  Good looking bow, Kegan.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:49 pm »
Get the outer limbs opening up just a little more and I'll call you with my order ;)
 Really...it looks great!  I bet it does shoot good.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:52:19 am »
Really nice bow!
Amazed by how you pull it, too!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:57:38 am »
Great looking bow, 75# wow. :) Must be nice to be young again. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:53:50 am »
Yea, as I looked at the picture I got to thinking that if it were me pulling that, my draw hand would be well in front of my face and the bow arm would be a blur caused by all the shaking...  :(

Nice looking bow for sure.  :)

George
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:25:32 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 02:31:56 pm »
Thanks everyone :) This is defiantely the heaviest bow I'll be using for a longgggg time. I'm really eager to get a few 65# selfbows done now too. But hey, if I ever get attacked by dinosaurs at least I have this lying around, right?

Here's a picture of it dolled up for hunting season. Put the one piece bow quiver I made on there, a rest and strike plate, and put some silencers on to get the arrows tuned right. Quiet as a church mouse now. I was worried the weight would be too much and I'd be putting broadheads all over the place, but I'm still good out to 15 or so yards. I'm actually doing better than with the other straight glass bow I'd built that's ten pounds lighter. Just need to get more practice in.

Of course, now I'm really putting the pedal to the floor to get some of these selfbows done. Think I'll even go back to wood arrows with them too :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 03:15:03 pm »
Nice job Kegan!  Man, I'd love to try shooting that thing.  Good luck with it!
1’—>1’