Author Topic: 61 1/4" tri-lam "Trouble Maker"  (Read 20183 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
61 1/4" tri-lam "Trouble Maker"
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:14:46 am »
You guys remember my post, "What to do", well this is what I done! This bow began as a boo backed hickory over 2 years ago and when I hinger her she went to the "Corner...". I took her out a few weeks ago and ground down the hickory belly wood and added a vertical boo belly. I had left the handle area too thick under the boo belly so she was quite whip ended. >:(  Well, after sanding the boo off of the belly, thinning the hickory even more and adding osage slats(spliced) for a new belly she was on her way, again! Now do you remember the  handle splice coming apart last week? >:(  I removed the short overlay(not long enough to support the splice) reglued the splice and added 3 thin lams of graduating lengths so they would flex a little if needed. ???
   "Trouble Maker" is 61 1/4" t/t,  I removed 1 1/2" from the top limb of the old bow to make her symmetrical. She is 1" (1 1/2" before) at the fades and a straight taper to 5/16" tips. The boo back is slightly trapped to releave some of the tension.
53#@26" and she zips an arrow. ;D The handle wrap is the same hemp as on the osage splinter. After the handle splice came apart I wasn't gonna have that happen again. I found this hemp cord at Wally World and was amazed how strong it was. It has a tight wrap and is set in Massey finish and with a floppy rest. The tip overlays are bison horn from Justin with whitetail antler tips. I have not you put a finish on her and may do some sort of design on the boo back for camo effect. 
   Here she is.... ;D                            Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: 61 1/4" tri-lam "Trouble Maker"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 01:29:37 am »
Looks like it is ready to make trouble for some white tail.  I sure do like to see a bow resurrected from the corner of shame. This one is a real treasure after all the grief it caused.  I like the limb tips. This bow looks pretty, like you planned it from the beginning.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 01:39:22 am »
 ;D     Pat

ps. She almost kicked my butt but she hasn't yet!!! I do think she has vengeance in her make-up...or else like a pound puppy, loyal to the end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 07:43:38 am »
congratulations pat.  i knew you could do it.  remember i said she'll be ready for the tennessee classic cat fight  ;D

Offline Jbell

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 09:28:45 am »
NIce one Pat! Those floppy rests are the best, they really keep the arrow where it is supposed to be and are simple to make. Congratulations!
Justin Blunt

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:09 am »
Nice work Pat.
The handle wrap looks very good!!!

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:01:21 am »
Very nice Pat, congrats on getting a bow out of that piece after all the trouble it gave you.
       Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:16:36 am »
Andrew, The handle wrap was out of necessity but I like it and will use it again. Apparently hemp is good for lots of things! ;)
  Justin B, I have begun to really like the floppy rest. I usually just use a small wedge of leather for an arrow rest/locater but lately the fletching has been cutting my hand...even with the forward end wrapped. The floppy makes a great rest. Thanks Mickey(the Ferret)!
  Marius, She will be at the Classic...along with lots of my other bows. ;D
Sean. I try not to get so discouraged with ones that don't work out. Just stick them in the "corner" and one day a remedy will pop up! ;D
   Thanks to everyone. This bow really tried my patience but my hardheadedness payed off...so far! ???    Pat

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:29:50 am »
Wow Pat, nice save on that bow, she has a beautiful tiller, I bet this bow has some real zip to it as well. Steve

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 11:36:42 am »
Awesome, Pat, I think you've finally got that one seeing things your way  :) You should change your user name to "Job." ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 11:48:13 am »
Good one Hillbilly ;D

Yup dat bow come out real purty Pat.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:26:19 pm »
It sure is a good one! So, the tri-lam is boo backed hick w. osage belly? Well, anyway, proud to book mark it for April Backed Bow of the Month.  Good job.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 02:56:54 pm »
Pat:

Nice Bows. Trouble Maker and Splinter.
Can you bring both of them to the TN Classic??
Would love to see them in person.

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 03:16:47 pm »
Another great one, Pat - only "Trouble" now is it looks like I posted one pic twice - until you look close - LOL.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 05:21:23 pm »
David, They will be there along with others.
  Bernie, you are taking up a lot of cyber space with your site with all these full draw pics. Good for you! ;)     Pat.