Author Topic: Flipping tips after rawhide?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Flipping tips after rawhide?
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »
Just a quick question. I have a redbud bow that I have already applied a rawhide backing to but I would like to flip the tips some. Is this possible? Ok know tb3 will release at high temp but this redbud seems to like dry heat and doesn't seem to need much to get it to move. Just y'alls thoughts on this I guess.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Flipping tips after rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:43:45 pm »
One thing you can do is remove the rawhide from the area to be bent and add a wrap at the end of it. I do this with skins and rawhide on recurves. The first pic has a carp skin  backing and the skins were a bit short. The second pic has choke cherry backing.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Christophero

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:44:46 pm »
Dry heat will release TB3, as well as steam.  You will probably have to reglue the rawhide if it gets too hot and disbonds.  
I used to think I didn't have much experience in bow building, and I still don't, but it is suprising how many 'Been there, Done that"s I have under my belt. LOL

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:42 pm »
thanks guys, I actually just heated and started bending it and the rawhide stayed put. This redbud needs VERY little heat to bend well. Nicest bending stuff I've ever used, and it stays when you bend it. I'll post the bow in a few days.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline tgr

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:36:29 pm »
How did it finally work out.  Did you use a form for shape and did it comprimise the strenth of the bow?  I would like to flip the handles on a deer hide backed oak short bow.  It has too much deflex.  Not sure if I should bother.
Tom R

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 03:52:18 pm »
Tom R
I flipped these tips to try to gain a little speed, it worked. I have two forms that I use one is just a 2X4 that has about a 15" radius just use it for a little reflex the one I use most is about an 10" radius made out of 5 pieces of masonite siding screwed together.
I'm not sure what you mean by the handles, if you mean the tips I think you could sure flip them some, the main thing it will do is add more weight at brace height which means more cast. If you have too much set in the bow I'm not sure it will do a whole lot. it migjt already be overstressed and in that case might be detrimental to the bow. these are all just my opinion, I don't have but twenty or so bows under my belt.
Mark

Offline tgr

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:04:38 pm »
Thanks
I meant tips.  I think I'll leave the bow as is.  Also, looking at my last post, I need to use "spell check" more often!
TR