Author Topic: finding rock in michigan?  (Read 2073 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
finding rock in michigan?
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:08 pm »
Does anybody know where to find some flint in michigan? I live on the west side of the state, but would be willing to travel to dig some up. I'm a rookie knapper, and ordering it is getting to be expensive, especially when the majority of it ends up waste. :-[ Like I said I'm a rookie, but no worries, I won't stop practicing. 
Rockford, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: finding rock in michigan?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »
 I think you need to come up with some trade goods and post in the Trade section. :-\ I'd send you some but I'm getting kinda lite on inventory.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline arappaho

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:00 pm »
Yeah, dave, what mullet said would be a good idea for you since good material is hard to come by
in Michigan. Your best bet to quarry your own would probably be a trip down to Flint Ridge in Ohio.

Here's a link to an article with some info about Michigan quarries. You want to read pages 74 & 75.
http://books.google.com/books?id=f_I8AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=Lithic+material+of+Michigan&source=bl&ots=0s8QE3Af-l&sig=bemwTPYUrsH4NOuy8CduxvvlwLg&hl=en&ei=9X79TJHBBoKBOr7D4NQK&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Lithic%20material%20of%20Michigan&f=false

Dang! That's a long link! I hope it works.

Joe

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:06:59 pm »
Thanks for the info guys!! Putting something up for trade was my next plan. I'll be sure to check out that link.
Rockford, MI

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:53:41 pm »
Link Works !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:59:24 am »
I read the link posted by arappaho and saw on the map of Michigan a quarry on the west coast of Michigan near what appears to be Ludington or Manistee.  Any way to find out where this quarry is or was.  I don't live far from there and it would be interesting to get Michigan rock to knap.

Also what would the name of the rock be?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline arappaho

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »
Oh Man, JEB, I knew someone was going to ask that question. ;)
Finding the answer is not going to be that easy. But you phrased it correctly when you asked,
"Where the quarry "is or was",. There could be a Wal-Mart there now.
So much of the lithic material used in Michigan is/was glacial drift, that I don't know if the site you asked
about is a chert "outcrop" or a large "deposit" of the chert gravels. Pinpointing the exact location
will take a lot of leg work and research.
You can try and contact your state office of archaeology, reference the article and ask them for an exact
location. They definitely have the information, but many times the OSA's are reluctant to give it out.
They tend to be very protective of site information, but sometimes you will get lucky. The folks at the
OSA here in NC hate to see me coming. They hold their breath until they hear what I want. ;D
But I pay my taxes so I try to get my moneys worth out of them.

The guys at the state geological survey office are usually much more helpful. They are bored to death looking at
rocks all day and are usually relieved when someone comes in with questions or rocks to talk about.

But the best place for you to start would probably be your local Michigan Archaeological Society. They are
much more helpful and are set up to help us poor amateurs. I checked their website and it looks like you
have a pretty active organization up there. Here's their link;
http://www.miarch.org/site-recording.html

Most amateurs, like myself, choose not to use these agencies, but I'm more of a mind to use any source
I can to get the answers I'm looking for. You got to play the game and jump through some hoops, but
that's what they are there for.

Google Maps is a great tool. I have not been successful with accessing the chert overlay maps that have
been mentioned on this site previously in another thread, but use the satellite images all the time.

I know none of this is what you wanted to hear, and more than you were asking for, but I've been doing
this in NC for a long time, and there's a lot to doing it. Sourcing prehistoric quarries is something I, and
archaeologist, have been working on forever, and there are always more questions than answers.
Since I've gone this far I'm going to add one more link to an article that puts the whole subject into
context very well, incase you or anybody else is interested.
http://neld.lib.uconn.edu/luedtke1.htm

Ofcourse, lots of times, it's nice to just go for a walk and see what you come across. :)

Joe

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 09:32:50 am »
Joe, enjoyed you posts and the sites you included.  thanks