Author Topic: best backing for increasing poundage?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline blades7558

best backing for increasing poundage?
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:17:00 pm »
im working on a 77 ntn hickory bow. i currently have a 3.5 inch strung fistmele  and i can pull the bow 20 inches before it hits 30 pounds. i think im going to have to back it to up the poundage. ive read that sinew isn't the best option for such a long bow. any recommendations?
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: best backing for increasing poundage?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »
77" you could shorten it up some unless you absolutely want it that length
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 02:20:31 pm »
Pike the ends for sure...did you want it 77" long?
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline blades7558

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 03:01:54 pm »
that was one of my options i had in mind. i was thinking about 3 or 4 inches off. the reason i made it so long in the first place was to achieve a "no stack" bow. i also thought of reflexing the limbs a bit as it has taken some set already. i believe the hickory i have is bad quality as in its pecan hickory not a good hard specific gravity kind like shag bark.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »
I might be wrong but it should be around 50 Lbs at 28 inches at its current length. I also dont believe sinew is an advantage on a long bow, better suited to short bows.And  Pecan is a fantastic bow wood in general, as are all species in the Hickory family, hard and dense. If ya just have to back it use Hickory. Just an opinion, not trying to be a wise guy.
N2
Genesis 27: 3

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:18:48 pm »
Hickory backed hickory might just be the ticket.  Induce a little reflex and glue up a thin backing over whatcha got already.

77" of bow is a heck of a long stick to carry around, though.  I think piking it might be a better bet.  Bringing it down to 70" would add a lot of poundage and wouldn't even start stacking until it was way past your draw length (unless you can tie you shoes without ending over). 

Whatever ya chose, good luck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline blades7558

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:58:40 am »
im going to call my local leather shop tomorrow and see if she has any rawhide in stock. im kinda impatient with this one. its got a hinge right now so i might wait and buy hickory backing for it. im hoping it will make a decent bow poundage but if not i always have room to cut it down  ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 01:03:57 am »
Where is the hinge? At 77" you might be able to pike it out.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline blades7558

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:41:56 am »
sadly the hinge is right next to the handle. i got to carried away when i was making the fades. heres a pic. i believe that i can get it out because i still have a ways to go on the tillering process.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 05:04:00 pm »
Which side? I don't really see a hinge.  I see that mid limb on needs to bend more. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »
I think the right limb is the one he is talking about George.....?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 11:52:38 pm »
i wouldnt worry bout the hinge, get the limbs bending and leave the fades alone for now , you have plenty of wood removal left for the fades to be an issue ! looks like a good start ,waiting to see the finished bow

Offline wally

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 05:19:43 am »
Ther bow is looking good. Maybe just tiller it down some more leaving the fadeout alone and the hinge can be worked on later being that close to the handle. There seems to be plenty of meat left on the bow yet.
I've used sinew on a few flat bows. Can be messy and it increases the poundage by relatively small amount, but kind of increased the speed I thought. One bow I increased poundage from 35 to 39. I don't know if more sinew on back would have helped?
With yours personally I would make the bow shorter and tiller slowly and carefully, then you can decide if it needs backing. Hickory back is probably the best.
Good luck with your bow.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 05:42:59 am »
i wouldnt worry bout the hinge, get the limbs bending and leave the fades alone for now , you have plenty of wood removal left for the fades to be an issue ! looks like a good start ,waiting to see the finished bow

I'd say so, too.
Frank from Germany...

Offline blades7558

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 08:02:22 pm »
i ordered the hickory backing from 3 rivers it comes in 72 inch lengths so im going down to at least that much. the hinge is there, must be a bad pic its at the fade on the right limb. i will do more limb work for sure. im still new at this so i didnt know to leave the fades alone in the beginning. thanks for the help. and also would titebond 2 or 3 work well to put the hickory on with or should i get a better glue? and should i rough up the gluing surfaces with a rough file or just 60 grit sand paper?