Author Topic: drying sinew  (Read 1538 times)

Offline bubby

drying sinew
« on: September 26, 2010, 05:14:33 pm »

I was hanging some deer tendon to dry and got to thinking, if the weather gets bad or it's humid, can you use a dehidrator to dry it out. seems like the same princable and ya dont have to worry aboutrain or dogs & cats, might even speed the drying process up.
Iwas also wondering about using cow tendon for sinew, think it will work ok, cause I can get lots of it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: drying sinew
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
Dehydrator works fine. I've never used cow sinew, but have heard it works fine- just a bit on the greasy side. Make sure you wash it with some dawn soap.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:41:17 pm »
Mice have been my biggest problem with sinew by far.   If there's a mouse where you're drying your tendons it will find them.  Don't know anything about cow sinew.  I've never felt the need to dehydrate tendons but I don't know why it wouldn't work.  Then again, my dehydrator has a heater in it.  I'm not sure I'd want to overheat a tendon as it dried.  I have turned jerky into dust with that thing.

George                                                         
St Paul, TX

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:46:41 pm »
cow sinew works great Ive backed a bow with some and pathced another bow with it too. Makes a lot of sinew and is very easy to split. You may wanna put salt on those tendons too so that they wont smell to bad. good luck!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 12:55:43 am »
Thank's for the replys, I was at the butcher shop picking up a bucket of deer legs and he asked me about the beef tendon. better call him up and tell him to start saving them. thank's for the help, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹