Author Topic: String Pass VS True Center  (Read 3181 times)

PeteDavis

String Pass VS True Center
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:02 pm »
My little Rudderbows book suggests putting string pass @ 1" up from true center once the weaker/stronger limbs are established for upper/lower.

I think Dean Torges suggests 1.5".

What say ye and rationale, if possible. Is there a limit really?

PD

Offline jeff halfrack

Re: String Pass VS True Center
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »
  No  disrespect,,, but  there   are  two  completely  different  train  of  thoughts  here  between  Dean  and  Jim.   I  got  more  from  Jim,,  I  just  wanted  a  bow  to  shoot  ,Dean  taught  me  to retrace  my  steps  and  enjoy  the  ride  IMHO  JEFFW

PeteDavis

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »

Well I see 1/2 inch between them LOL. Please elucidate~

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:22 pm »
I go 1.25 in. above center. But I go lower if I want to strengthen the bottom limb a bit. At 1.25 in I feel that, with the split finger draw, the pressure is about even around  the mid string area. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »
i also go 1.25"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 11:52:44 pm »
i go one inch and i hold the bow with the web of my hand instead of flat handed , always figured i was puttin the pressure in the center of the bow. here lately i havent been puttin any rest on half the time .

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:16:51 am »
Before i started making my own bows and was shooting fiberglass recurves and longbows. I would buy a bow that had the shelf real close to my hand. I was told my a old archer that is something to look for in a bow and they will shoot a lot better. I tuck my middle finger in the corner of my mouth for a anchor point.....The middle finger is a straightline to the shelf.....Now I am new to primitive archery and have a few under my belt....I read about the shelf being 1" to 1 1/2" above center and I had the same question you did....Then I thought to myself why not just custom fit it two your own hand. I put the the middle of my palm on the center line and grip the bow. Then I mark a line  just above my pointer finger.......thats where I put my rest. When I measure my middle and pointer finger together its almost a 1 1/2". Maybe the rudderbow guy got skinny fingers.....lol....I say make it work for you

Jon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 01:22:33 am »
I go 1.25 in. above center. But I go lower if I want to strengthen the bottom limb a bit. At 1.25 in I feel that, with the split finger draw, the pressure is about even around  the mid string area. Jawge
What George said, but look at the details of what he said. Tiller makes a difference in where the pass is placed. Both Jim and Dean are correct, or they could both be wrong depending on how the bow is tillered.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:27:29 am »
Probably about and inch or so.I just shoot the bow and find the sweet spot and that's where I put it. Never measure anything out on it.  I do this before I put the grip on and mark it and go from there with the grip and cut in ,if I decide to cut it in at all. :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 09:04:48 am »
Whatever looks/feels right. I generally mark it out roughly then tiller the bow to suit. Ill then shoot the bow adjusting the grip to get it feeling right. The arrows leave a mark* where they kiss the bow (I use special dirty arrows for this process ;)) and that's where I'll inlay the arrow plate after any necessary adjustment.
* The position of that mark can sometimes be a bit away from where you'd expect, I find it is nearer the belly that one might otherwise position the arrow plate.
Like a lot of stuff there is no 'right and wrong', you make it how you make it, I personally go for short grips with the bottom of the grip where the heel of my hand sits tailing off into the fade.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 03:45:53 pm »
   I never measured but I went out and checked a few and I go from about 1 1/4 to 1 3/4, I usually adjust tiller after setting my hand placement location. I honestly can't see where it would make much difference if the tiller is adjust accordingly. Steve

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 05:09:21 pm »
I sure wish I would have the kind of mind controll that these small differences could make a difference that could be seen!
Keep it simple ! Keep it fun !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 05:16:25 pm »
I agree with Steve.  As long as the limbs are tillered to balance where your hand goes I don't think it matters where the arrow pass lies according to the center of the bow.  How far BELOW center is the Japanese Yumi?  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline jimmy

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 11:44:09 am »
i thought that with a stiff handle it does not matter, but with a d shaped or bend in the handle bow, the arrow nock needs to be closer to center. i don't know for sure, it's just what i've read, but it makes sense. i do like like Pappy does. i just put it here or there and shoot the bow. if it shoots well, i stick with it. ususally about 1.5 to 2 inches above center.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »
Well, I think it may matter. When you surround the center point of the string with your fingers you are putting the same amount of pressure on both limbs perhaps resulting in  a better release. Of course, this is speculation on my part. I just go out and shoot and halve a good time. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!