Author Topic: first encounter with a bear and a selfbow  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

first encounter with a bear and a selfbow
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »
Well My cousins and I were out looking for an elk this AM that my one cousin shot and unfortunately lost, but we were seeing a lot of bear sign around so i was encouraged and on the way back to the truck we spotted and REALLY nice mulie buck and i put a good stalk on it. I actually got to within 5 or 6 yards of its location but it was down in a ditch and on the otherside of a bush and it jumped out to about 25 yards and i stood broadside, but i shot just under it...i was kinda depressed, but thats why they call it hunting. 
       So i was enthused and decided to go try a bit more spot and stalk this evening with the chances of, elk, mulies, whitetails AND bears!  I was up on a ridge glassing for elk and i looked down into a chokecherry bottom and spotted a dark head and said to myself "I hate cows"....cuz i do hate cows    but then i realized that the head wasnt a cow it was a bear, and really nice chocolate bear.   I ran downwind and bailed off the rock ledge and got down in the creek bottom, ready to shake hands with this bear in the berry patch. i dumped my quiver and coat and brought 2 arrows and started sneaking around. i spotted it again about 60 or 70 yards and i went to it as it came to me at the same time.  I got to about 30-35 yards and it was up on its hind legs pulling cherry branches down and i had a clear look at its back but wanted a good broadside shot so it eventually got down and turned perfectly broadside but was still 30-35 yards and walking and i just didnt feel confident in that shot even though it was wide open. I really wanted to close the distance another 10 yards.  i feared if i wounded it, i wouldnt be able to hunt it another day. So i passed on the shot as it crossed the creek and up the opposite side. I decided a last effort and started bleating like a fawn and it was very interested and turned and came back to me but this time stopped at 40 yards not offering any shot and eventually figured it wasnt anything it wanted afterall and slipped into the timber. I often wondered how i would feel sneaking up on a bear with only a selfbow and cane arrows, but i showed no fear, i wasnt worried in the least... i realized that bear was in way more danger than me...i sure wish i coulda brought it home but i know where he lives!   i compare it to the 180 pounder i shot with a rifle a few years ago and it was every bit as big but seemed much wider....but this is a fall bear my other was a spring bear.   i sure wish i coulda go it though...lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: first encounter with a bear and a selfbow
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:36:49 pm »
Sounds like you had a blast and good on ya for resisting the not so good shot!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:02:03 am »
Aw man, I wanna hunt bear on the ground with sticks and strings!  Good luck, good hunting!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 12:31:20 am »
Sounds like a great day afield, Wayne. You seem to be enjoying Montana. I know I would!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:56:13 am »
I mean Ryan!  ;D  :-[
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:06 am »
What a fantastic hunt!  I saw a nice fat sow with 3 cubs yesterday, one of the cubs was cinnamon!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 02:23:11 am »
i think i'd call that a day well spent!

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:52:04 am »
gotta love gettin up close to bears with stick and string!!Exhilirating!!Great experience!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 02:52:45 pm »
Definately sounds like a good time!!!!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:44:02 pm »
Sounds like a great hunt.Good story too. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas