Author Topic: Opening day story  (Read 2384 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Opening day story
« on: September 19, 2010, 11:44:58 am »
yesterday was opening day for me on Ft campbell. I seen some deer on my morning hunt but never had a clean shot.
 But the evening hunt was my favorite, I got up my tree about 1500hrs and it was hot i think 90* but i was in the shade and was not wearing anything under my leafy suit 
 About 1540hrs i noticed some racoons in the dried creek bed about 40 yards to my 2 o'clock. It was a mama and two Young ones not really baby's anymore. The Young coons were playing with each other and the mama was flipping over rocks. They stuck around for about 30mins.
 About 1630 i heard something to my 4 o'clock, i looked over and saw what i thought was another racoon. i said to myself "eww that one looks sick" After looking at it with my binos i learned it was a bobcat slowly making its way up the dry creek. I forgot my glasses
 About 1815 I had some turkeys move through to my 9 o'clock all a sudden there was a hen standing 40 yards  looking at me, I was already on my feet and rdy and there we stood in a stare down for at least 10 mins. I got tired of standing there so i slowly lifted my bow and let a arrow fly... Wack was the sound of the arrow smacking the body of the hen... but nothing hapend, there was no flopping turkey curious i grabbed my binos and gave it a look, it was a log and a white leaf for a head. ( I forgot my glasses)
 I really enjoyed myself and connected with nature that hunt never saw a deer but what a way to start the season.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 03:22:20 pm by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Opening day story
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »
 :D :D :D That's funny! I can't tell you how many "squirrels" I've shot that turned out to be tree knots.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:16:24 pm »
ha ha ... classic!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 12:26:50 pm »
Jesse,thanks for the laugh first thing in the mornong.
about spewed coffee all over my laptop

hint: contacts  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 12:31:33 pm »
Jesse, here's a little tip from an ole man wearing glasses. Put them on in the morning when ya get up an takem off in the evening when you go to bed an you won't be wandering where they are all day long.  ;D Besides you will look shall I say like a scholar. 8) Sounds like you had a great day in the woods even without your glasses, Some of my most memorial days have been when I seen everything except my intended quarry. Best of luck in your up coming season. Ours starts in 2 weeks an I,m gettin the fever. Saw alot of really big rubs yesterday while woods walking an lookin for some black ash for baskets for a friend. Later bob

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 12:36:39 pm »
I usually only ware my glasses when i drive at night , when i shoot my bow and hunt and when i do final edge work on a point :)
 I really thought that log was a turkey, My heart was racing and i was proud of myself for keeping it together and making the 40 yard shot. :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 12:38:32 pm »
Funny! I lost a contact hunting couple years a go, that hunt was kinda similar.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

kinkfeather

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 01:20:44 pm »
leapingbare thats is what it is all about priceless.i am a kentucky hillbilly with 1 leg longer than the other caused by walking on the side of the hills.getting ready for venison supper tonight with the kids an grandkids.venison,brown gravy,mash potatoes.home made biscuits.we will start out quiet an slow an as our bellies full up we will be laughtifing an talken an enjoying our family.stay with it leapingbare it gets better as the years go by.kink

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 01:42:43 am »
Sounds like a great day in the woods, Jesse. You had better just mount that log because it would bee too tough to eat!  ;)  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:31 am »
 Funny story Jesse,Been there done that,I now try to always wear my glasses. :) I hate them but it's better than not being able to see.  :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 10:53:08 am »
Pretty funny Jesse... I LOL'ed.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 12:19:07 pm »
Good stuff! thank you for the starting my day out laughing!

Rob

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:32:14 pm »
Good story, Jesse. I love those kinds of days in the woods.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.