Author Topic: Arrow shaft material in Michigan?  (Read 6836 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Arrow shaft material in Michigan?
« on: September 11, 2010, 06:25:04 pm »
Hey guys, I'm from southern Michigan and I am looking for good wood/cane growing around here to make arrows. I know dogwood makes good arrows but have no clue what it looks like. I often walk through the woods bending different saplings and sticks and weeds but none seem to have enough spine! Do they pick up spine as they dry?  If you guys got any ideas about some wood that is easy to find and identify I would love to hear it! Thanks alot

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Arrow shaft material in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 06:42:37 pm »
Lee...I think you are out of luck on the Cane...unless you are from way down in Flatlander Territory...All I know for sure is that You should have Red Osier... Dogwood...and Wild Rose....there may be a few I missed...but I don't believe that You will find any Hill or River Cane in Michigan...but I have been know to be wrong....way wrong sometimes.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 07:39:54 pm »
i go thru the wods and do the same thing with little saplings
yes most do seem to pick up spine as they dry
take the moisture out of any wood and you make it stiffer  ;)
just like curing bow wood
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »
my hardware stores always seem to have arrow shaft material!  im just joking!  its easier to buy it, but i too like to cut my own.   i finally got to make my own arrows out of some cane i cut a couple months ago.  thats pretty cool when its all handmade by you.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:07 pm »
I know folks that use the small suckers that are coming up around tree stumps . They are usually straight. Bundle and let dry for a few weeks and then skin them and let them dry some more. I would seal them as soon as they seem pretty dry. Also keep them tied in bundles so they will be some what straight as they dry.Red oak white oak and ash do well. An old Indian told me this , is what they did. He is alive and a good friend . By the way his family are from Michigan, HURON Indians. Denny

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:59:08 am »
Thanks guys! Denny, do the small stuff comin up around the base of trees have much spine to it?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 12:05:47 pm »
when i go get shaft material,wether its osier or just any ol shoot i can find
i get it so the at end is 1/2" - 5/8" thick,it will shrink some when dried
and lose a little diameter when the bark is removed
just make sure your getting second year growth no matter what the material is  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 09:26:51 am »
I agree with sailordad , , pick it somewhat large,,3/8 to 1/2. You will see the difference in spine as they dry out.Wood is wood. That being said, Hard woods work better than soft.We have alota dogwood in our area, but no river cane. I have gone to Homedepot and bought bundles of tomato stakes ( bamboo) for about 4.00 and choice the narrow ones and made some great arrows. They come in 6 foot length, so one cane will give two arrows . And they are very straight and slender.AS for choice of suckers at the base of the trees, Red oak and hickory and ash are my choice. We have sugar maple , which is hard rock maple. This Makes a good arrow. Got lotsa wild roses along the yard. But with all this arrow material, I haven't seen many Indians. lol Denny

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:00:42 pm »
Mich. Has plenty of wild cherry ,it's shoots make some mighty fine arrows!
There is also some northern arrow wood growing there but some what scarce you may have to cultivate it some If you can find it!
Its all fun!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 11:35:54 pm »
When I was in Indiana, there was red osier all over the place.  You can't miss it, it's red  ;D  and sometimes has critter bite marks on it...especially if there are beavers nearby.  But red osier is a bit weak and will not stay straight.

If you are able, and you can't find stiff shoots, I would split or saw some blanks out of hickory and plane those down.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr