Author Topic: tung oil  (Read 2581 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

tung oil
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:27:46 pm »
So I was at Home depo looking for some spar varnish but they dont carry it anymore, so I decide to get tung oil. Its my first time using tung oil and Id like to know if it matters how you apply the layers. Example: can I put a layer let it dry 1-2 hrs and put another one? the instructions says 24 hours but I put it out in the sun and it dried in 3. Im applying it in thin layers. thanks

Cesar
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline walkabout

Re: tung oil
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:27 pm »
ive applied in the manner you mention and it has worked just fine. as long as it is dry it shouldnt matter, if it isnt dry the new coat will simply rewet the original coat and possibly take some of it off. i use a scotch brite pad in between coats too, to get it nice and smooth. if there are runs, etc sandpaper or steel wool works well. best tip i can give is to make the first coat a bit heavy, as this coat is what penetrates the most,and makes the most diference IMO in sealing the wood. subsequent coats will also need to be fewer to seal the wood if the first is good. ive also mixed in ground charcoal for a darker finish and it works well, subsequent layers make darker, giving a charred look to the wood.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:09:12 pm »
actually if you read the can it probably states to "rub the first coat or two in,like waxing a car"
at least thats what my can says to do
this is how i do it,its also the method my father in law told me how to do it too
he was a custom cabnit maker,carpenter for over 55 yrs,and thats all he used for a finish  ;)
Ive also found that "homer formbys' tung oil" seems to be the best,minwax is junk in my opinion
as far as dry time goes,when its dry its dry,the lighter the coat of tung oil the quicker it dries too  ;)
heavy coats are bitch to get completely dry,especially when humid out

i use xxxx steel wool between coats,just rub real light and apply next coat
leaves a real sweet finish
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:23 pm »
Thanks walkabout, thanks sailordad.
I bought the formby's type and I really rubbed in the first coat. I applied a second coat yesterday and a third and fourth today. Its looking beutiful. Thanks!
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
did you get the high gloss or low gloss?
i have both,personaly i cant tell the differance  :-\

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 02:38:37 am »
I went for high gloss  :)
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:32:22 am »
cesar, like i said a cant tell the differance between the high and low gloss.
either way it leaves a nice weather resistant finish of furniture quality.
it realy brings out the beauty of the wood grain.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 12:29:37 pm »
from what ive read, tung oil can take some time to build up a good enough coat to really resist water, so on bows i plan to hunt with in inclement weather i rub in a sealer coat of parafin wax for insurance. poly would probably cut the shine just as it does with tru oil too. i also use tung oil on snakeskins with some great results.

PeteDavis

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:52:27 pm »

Formby's is an oxidized varnish with some tung oil in it----"Tung Oil Finish".

Pure tung oil from the chinawood tree, is a different thing and those instructions do not apply.

Put on the Formby's as you are doing and buff between w/ 0000. The more you use, the more formal it will look.

PTO never shines much unless you polish it out.

PD

Offline shamus

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 01:24:07 pm »
Tung oil finishes often contain no tung oil in them. Tung finishes are usually varnishes or oil/varnish blends. A few are polymerized oil finishes.  None of which act or have the properties of pure tung oil.

Pure tung oil is a different animal.