Author Topic: finish ?'s  (Read 1247 times)

Offline northvtarcher

finish ?'s
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:00 am »
Finally finished my first selfbow. 68" white ash backed with linen. I now have a white bow that needs some kind of finish. I wanted to stain the bow before sealing it but I'm not sure if I can use stain on the linen backing. I glued the linen on with titebond 2. Is a stain going to affect the glue? Also I was planning on using truoil after staining, will this be a good way to seal the bow? Thanks.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: finish ?'s
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:58 pm »
I've stained a bow with a linen backing before and it DID affect the glue in looks (came out a little blotchy) but I really liked the way mine came out.  I also sealed it with Tru-Oil but you wanna let the bow sit a few days before you seal it up if you are using an oil-based stain.  If you don't liike the way the linen looks after staining you can always paint the linen up with designs or a cool pattern.  There are so many options in that department, just use your imagination.  Good luck on your bow and be sure to post pics when you are done.  :) 

PS. glue a piece of linen to a scrap piece of wood and stain that first just so you know what it is gonna look like if you would rather go that route.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln